What's new

Best USB 3 HDD for AC68U?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you disable the option to reduce USB 3.0 interference, under Wireless -> Professional.
This switch is mentioned in several places, but unfortunately I can't find it in my settings (rt-ac66u_b1). What is the exact name of this switch and what position should it be in? Thanks,

This switch is mentioned in several places, but unfortunately I can't find it in my settings (rt-ac66u_b1). What is the exact name of this switch and what position should it be in? Thanks,
That post was nearly 10 years old...

The option is now on the Administration -> System page:

1723211834539.png

Yeah, i'm a newborn necromanta :)
I'm sorry for this mess, but i have to know this concrete info from it. What is this switch doing exacly, reduce the port's speed rate?

Yeah, i'm a newborn necromanta :)
I'm sorry for this mess, but i have to know this concrete info from it. What is this switch doing exacly, reduce the port's speed rate?

It sets/restricts the USB Mode... Google 'USB 3.0 interference' and read up.

OE

Yes, I know the phenomenon itself, I don't know what this switch does exactly, what happens to eliminate the interference.

It sets/restricts the USB Mode, 2.0 (slower data comms) or 3.0 (faster data comms). The much faster signaling rate of USB 3.0 radiates EMI (noise) in the frequency spectrum common to 2.4GHz WiFi comms, affecting the signal-to-noise ratio... as noise goes up and signal decreases such as at greater distance from the source radio, the signal becomes more garbled/corrupted/unintelligible and comms struggle/slow down/crap out. Shielding ports and cabling can help attenuate this radiated EMI but is often lacking/insufficient/not worth the cost... noise can be difficult/expensive to manage... the cheap solution it to not generate it in the first place (USB 2.0) at the cost of slower data comms.

Use the FAQ Search on your router webUI home page... maybe ASUS has more to say about this setting.

OE

It sets/restricts the USB Mode, 2.0 (slower data comms) or 3.0 (faster data comms). The much faster signaling rate of USB 3.0 radiates EMI (noise) in the frequency spectrum common to 2.4GHz WiFi comms, affecting the signal-to-noise ratio... as noise goes up and signal decreases such as at greater distance from the source radio, the signal becomes more garbled/corrupted/unintelligible and comms struggle/slow down/crap out. Shielding ports and cabling can help attenuate this radiated EMI but is often lacking/insufficient/not worth the cost... noise can be difficult/expensive to manage... the cheap solution it to not generate it in the first place (USB 2.0) at the cost of slower data comms.

Use the FAQ Search on your router webUI home page... maybe ASUS has more to say about this setting.

OE
I understood, according to them I thought correctly, practically the transmission speed is reduced with the switch, thank you for the detailed information.

When I see posts on these lines I often follow along, and if I've nothing to add to the conversation I'll say nothing.
Well... I've had my USB3 UASP SSD on a stick plugged into the GT-AX6000 for a couple of months, with only a single kernel panic when I most recently updated to the latest firmware - I'm not worried about a single instance, it happens! Playing along with this thread though I dropped the USB setting from V3 to V2, and then headed off out to the recycling centre. Checking the system longs on my return, the system log is maxed out full of "potentially fatal signal" messages! Switched the USB back from V2 to V3 and all is good again!
*Just one to add to the logs really, as I don't imagine there are many here using unsupported (elsewhere it's credited with being an issue with the controller chip on the device not the router) UASP SSDs

Returning the setting to it's previous state has not cured the problem! Looks like the more conventional SSD drive is going back on!

Returning the setting to it's previous state has not cured the problem! Looks like the more conventional SSD drive is going back on!
I'm wondering if this setting should ever be changed whilst an ssd is connected. Maybe the switch would cause a reset on the USB bus, causing interruptions to read/write operations. One would assume there would be protections in the firmware, but this is "just a router".

It's a known issue with the specific UASP SSD controller in combination with some USB3 device controllers. A long-cold power cycle after reverting the router setting won't fix, but a warm restore of a previous configuration save will. Its also possible to add a command at boot that prevents simultaneous read and write cycles and so prevent the issue. But I'm lazy, so it's easier just to switch back to an SSD that doesn't have the issue.

WHICH OPTION?!
You are responding/quoting RMerlin's post from Jun 4, 2014. Ten years ago.

As explained earlier in the discussion (up page) the USB Mode option is currently under the Administration > System > USB Setting section:

RT-AC68U Asus-Merlin firmware:
System.jpg

RT-AC68U stock Asus firmware:
System_stock.jpg

Last edited:
This is why you don't necropost.

Locking this, as this is a 10 years old discussion that no longer applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.