What's new

Best VPN alternative to Hotspot Shield?? What do others use in their AC-68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

faunus

Occasional Visitor
I use Hotspot Shield mostly for watching BBC and US programming, but also to protect my privacy when visiting websites and d/l my emails.

I would like to set up something in my AC-68 router to cover everything on the property. I have tried HideMyAss VPN but it was poor compared to HSS. HSS cannot be used in a router.

I am sure there are lots of alternatives, and I am quite happy to pay for a quality service.

Any suggestions??

Make sure the VPN provider has servers that are close to you, for optimal performance.

I use iVPN for my VPN needs. The team is super friendly, great support, and they dont record anything. Not that do anything bad, but im a nut about privacy, and they are the best in my book.

Link here. It is my referral, feel free to use if I helped :)

Does work fine with Merlins build for OpenVPN on the AC68

astrill

I use Hotspot Shield mostly for watching BBC and US programming, but also to protect my privacy when visiting websites and d/l my emails.

I would like to set up something in my AC-68 router to cover everything on the property. I have tried HideMyAss VPN but it was poor compared to HSS. HSS cannot be used in a router.

I am sure there are lots of alternatives, and I am quite happy to pay for a quality service.

Any suggestions??

I use astrill vpn with the router applet working great!

I use iVPN for my VPN needs. The team is super friendly, great support, and they dont record anything. Not that do anything bad, but im a nut about privacy, and they are the best in my book.

Thanks, I'm looking at it and they do have a server close to me. Do you have a screen grab of the AC-68 set up for this service? Or any instructions re setup?

And yes it has helped! Thank you. And everyone else for their input. This site is just great!

Edit: Just looked at the instructions on the site for router setup. "Seems" straightforward, but for a literalistic chap like myself....

Last edited:

Great info thanks... And I think I will try this service. But now I'm really sure my mind is going. When I log into the info page at ivpn it tells me the name of my isp and my ip address EVEN THOUGH I AM USING HOTSPOT SHIELD AND THEIR IP LOOKUP TELLS ME THAT MY IP ADDRESS IS 3000 MILES AWAY!

So is HSS a scam?? Can anyone resolve this... how? Why?

I don't know if scam is the right word; but I don't believe anything is safe once on the WWW.

VPN, HTTPS, etc. - the only thing I would trust fully would be a proprietary secure communication protocol with directly linked computers (phone lines) with the software written by me. That is not going to happen soon. :)

Paying for such 'secure' services today is beyond my comprehension... this isn't the movies. Everything has to work with the tools everyone else too or else it simply wouldn't.

Thanks, I'm looking at it and they do have a server close to me. Do you have a screen grab of the AC-68 set up for this service? Or any instructions re setup?

And yes it has helped! Thank you. And everyone else for their input. This site is just great!

Edit: Just looked at the instructions on the site for router setup. "Seems" straightforward, but for a literalistic chap like myself....

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US and want to watch the BBC then you need to connect to a server in the UK.

The advice for the fastest connection applies when you are using a VPN to secure your connection. The downside of this is then that for only a portion of your route is your transmission encrypted.

For instance if you are in NYC, using a VPN server in NYC and want to connect to a server/ website in Seattle, only the first few hops in NYC are encrypted. Once your transmission leaves your VPN provider's server in NYC it is in the clear. If you wanted to maximize your security you would have been better off connecting to a West coast VPN server.

NOTE: This isn't a security issue when you are running a private VPN with your own VPN server and all remote connecting devices running a VPN client or at least connecting through a router that is running the VPN client. Then all hops are encrypted.

The real security that VPN services provide is over hyped.

In my opinion commercial VPN services are useful to avoid geo blocking and to prevent man in the middle attacks when using public WiFi hotspots.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US and want to watch the BBC then you need to connect to a server in the UK.

The advice for the fastest connection applies when you are using a VPN to secure your connection. The downside of this is then that for only a portion of your route is your transmission encrypted.

For instance if you are in NYC, using a VPN server in NYC and want to connect to a server/ website in Seattle, only the first few hops in NYC are encrypted. Once your transmission leaves your VPN provider's server in NYC it is in the clear. If you wanted to maximize your security you would have been better off connecting to a West coast VPN server.

NOTE: This isn't a security issue when you are running a private VPN with your own VPN server and all remote connecting devices running a VPN client or at least connecting through a router that is running the VPN client. Then all hops are encrypted.

The real security that VPN services provide is over hyped.

In my opinion commercial VPN services are useful to avoid geo blocking and to prevent man in the middle attacks when using public WiFi hotspots.

I'm in Canada... eh. Thank you for making things a little clearer for me. Yes commercial VPN services are definitely over hyped. And I am aware of using a UK server for BBC etc. Can't wait to get my router set up and running.

Thanks I signed up for a month to try. However I am confused on the set up instructs. They are for a DRT Linksys router and I cannot find anything for the AC-68. I know I'm pushing it at my age (mid sixties) trying to learn new things, but the terminology is different to my Merlin firmware.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On the tomato guide page will be manual openvpn files to download. Currently on a tablet so I cant send a screengrab yet, but I uploaded the VPN config from the download section in the VPN Client on the router, uploaded the .ca file, username and pass, and it connected no issues.

Its a bit of a pain to enter the information though, but use this link for the info : https://www.ivpn.net/setup/router-tomato.html
Start at step 7.
Merlins OpenVPN is based off Tomato, so they will match up quite nicely.

Last edited:
On the tomato guide page will be manual openvpn files to download. Currently on a tablet so I cant send a screengrab yet, but I uploaded the VPN config from the download section in the VPN Client on the router, uploaded the .ca file, username and pass, and it connected no issues.

Its a bit of a pain to enter the information though, but use this link for the info : https://www.ivpn.net/setup/router-tomato.html
Start at step 7.
Merlins OpenVPN is based off Tomato, so they will match up quite nicely.

Great thank you so much! I'll get at it tomorrow... hope it's more straightforward....

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!