What's new

Best way to configure Dual Wan TP-Link-TL-ER604W

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sonofmof

New Around Here
Hi,

Just found this forum and looking for some advice.

We have a small home office and would like to know the best way to configure the WAN side connections to a new TP-Link-TL-ER604W we just purchased.

The purpose of this router is to give us a single LAN with a reliable connection online, as we are very rural and the ADSL connection here is flaky at best so we have a wimax connection as a backup. When both connections are up, I assume I will get a connection speed of ADSL +Wimax ?

I guess my main question is, do I leave the routers for the adsl and Wimax in place and with default settings and let them assign the connection to the WAN side of the new router, or should I customize settings in some way, does making a DMZ to the new router from each help ?

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Last edited:
Hi,

Just found this forum and looking for some advice.

We have a small home office and would like to know the best way to configure the WAN side connections to a new TP-Link-TL-ER604W we just purchased.

The purpose of this router is to give us a single LAN with a reliable connection online, as we are very rural and the ADSL connection here is flaky at best so we have a wimax connection as a backup. When both connections are up, I assume I will get a connection speed of ADSL +Wimax ?

I guess my main question is, do I leave the routers for the adsl and Wimax in place and with default settings and let them assign the connection to the WAN side of the new router, or should I customize settings in some way, does making a DMZ to the new router from each help ?

Many thanks in advance

Chris
Does Verizon have LTE service there?
WiMax is a goner.
You can buy a cradlepoint MB95 (eBay) or higher up product. They'll fail over to cellular if DSL quits- but usually DSL is reliable assuming you have filters on 100% of the devices connected to your phone line. DSL can be flaky in wet weather due to old poorly maintained junction boxes.

If you get Verizon 4G/LTE, and can live with their price vs. data caps, you could make that the primary. And consider taking their digital phone in a bundle.

Last edited:
Thanks Stevech, but i'm in Spain so there is no LTE service here.

Some ISP's do cellular fallover but the connection drops first.

ideally i'm hoping this router will realize the WAN1 connection has dropped and route all the traffic over WAN2

when both are up, could i get the total of both ?

my ADSL speed is supposed to be 10mb, but i'm fairly lucky to get 6 most days, changing providers doesn't improve things, I guess its an Infrastructue issue.

The wimax is 2mb but also drops sometimes, although much less than the ADSL.

Hope that makes sense