What's new

Best way to set up network traffic monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uviteru

New Around Here
So I have time capsule that I use for NAS and as an access point, connected to a router/modem provided by Comcast, which is my internet provider (comcast router is in bridge mode). I want to be able to monitor the traffic at the point of the time capsule (SNMP is not supported), so i'm looking at adding another router in between the modem/router and time capsule in order to capture network traffic. I'm considering using Tomato or DD-WRT, but I'm trying to find out if this would be the best setup, and how exactly to configure everything. Ideally, I would like the traffic router to be on the same subnet so that I can access it without having to change iPs or networks.

A little bit of noobie with this stuff, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

How detailed do you need the logs to be?

Just the type of traffic, which device on the network was pulling the traffic, and the server(s) it was/is communicating with. Also i want to be able to view it realtime, not just the logs. Pretty much similar to what is available in tomato

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!