What's new

Best way to Wake Up computer remotely these days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmn1

Back when I was using DD-WRT I was able to just set a static ARP entry so that I could always remotely wake up my desktop when I was away from home. Then once I moved over to RMerlin I had issues getting that method to wrok so I have been remotely logging into my router and then accessing the WOL page directly to wake up my desktop. Now I'm hearing about how unsafe it is having remote access from WAN enabled. So what are the best options for waking up a computer remotely these days? Is AiCloud pretty safe to use?

Back when I was using DD-WRT I was able to just set a static ARP entry so that I could always remotely wake up my desktop when I was away from home. Then once I moved over to RMerlin I had issues getting that method to wrok so I have been remotely logging into my router and then accessing the WOL page directly to wake up my desktop. Now I'm hearing about how unsafe it is having remote access from WAN enabled. So what are the best options for waking up a computer remotely these days? Is AiCloud pretty safe to use?
I connect through VPN and then access WOL page. But before I was using AiCloud app (no WebGUI WAN access) to WOL my devices.

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

Yeah I was just checking out the AiCloud feature while waiting for some responses. Waking up my computer works fine, but now the downfall of using AiCloud is that I have to enable "Smart Access" which allows me to wake up a sleeping pc, but it also allows access to my local Windows Shares which I don't want. I think maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and figure out how to configure a VPN.

I think VPN is good way.. aicloud have security concerns... May possibly be compromised. Beware..

I've put the WOL into an openvpn script event so as to skip a step.