What's new

Bought asus rt-ax86u pro router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Regular Contributor
Okay so I bought the asus rt-ax86u pro router every video and web site I saw and read information gave it a really good review....

But now I need to ask when setting up the router there's an option do you want to turn on wifi6 mode, I didn't know this was a mode that if turned on my devices that are old or not supported won't be able to connect... So doesn't that mean if I leave it off then I'm not using the Wi-Fi 6 technology???? I thought WiFi 6 was just
the latest version of the Wi-Fi network protocol

Okay so I bought the asus rt-ax86u pro router every video and web site I saw and read information gave it a really good review....

But now I need to ask when setting up the router there's an option do you want to turn on wifi6 mode, I didn't know this was a mode that if turned on my devices that are old or not supported won't be able to connect... So doesn't that mean if I leave it off then I'm not using the Wi-Fi 6 technology???? I thought WiFi 6 was just
the latest version of the Wi-Fi network protocol
If you enable wifi 6 it will allow wifi 6 compatible devices to connect as well

You will still be able to use wifi 5 and wifi 4 which are the older wifi technologies

Just make sure your Wireless Mode setting for 5ghz and 2.4ghz is set to auto

The compatibility warning can usually be ignored although if you don't have any devices that support wifi 6 you can turn it off

1723108560761.png

1723108592832.png

Note: If you have smart connect turned on you may only need to set one to auto and enable wifi 6 as they share the same ssid

I didn't know this was a mode that if turned on my devices that are old or not supported won't be able to connect

Who told you that? Just boot the default configuration and try it.

OE

If you enable wifi 6 it will allow wifi 6 compatible devices to connect as well

You will still be able to use wifi 5 and wifi 4 which are the older wifi technologies

Just make sure your Wireless Mode setting for 5ghz and 2.4ghz is set to auto

The compatibility warning can usually be ignored although if you don't have any devices that support wifi 6 you can turn it off

View attachment 60812
View attachment 60813

Note: If you have smart connect turned on you may only need to set one to auto and enable wifi 6 as they share the same ssid
Thank You for this answer

But now I need to ask when setting up the router there's an option do you want to turn on wifi6 mode, I didn't know this was a mode that if turned on my devices that are old or not supported won't be able to connect... So doesn't that mean if I leave it off then I'm not using the Wi-Fi 6 technology???? I thought WiFi 6 was just the latest version of the Wi-Fi network protocol
Start by trying the default settings of the router. If you choose not to keep the option 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode enabled it generally means your WiFi 6 enabled clients will still be able to connect with WiFi, they just may not have or reach WiFi 6 speed/capability. That setting is there for users to disable if they have one the few WiFi adapters that have a conflict or compatibility issues with WiFi 6. In most cases you can leave it enabled unless you have a specific issue.