What's new

BQ16 and GT-BE98, Wired AI Mesh port speed goes to 10/100 :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A011528

New Around Here
I've been an avid reader and this is my first post as im fairly new to Asus.. and i have 2 issues that im looking for help with.

1. Ethernet uplink from BT98 only connects at 10/100.
My set-up 2 x BQ16 and 1 x GT-BE98, Wired Ethernet using AI Mesh. They all connect over Ethernet 10GB switch – I have swapped the Switch out also (to eliminate and the switch is fine, all cabling is 100% fine.

GT-BE98, connects to Wired AI Mesh as a AI-Node but port speed or uplink goes to 10/100 – even though over a 10GB backbone port & I don’t understand why?

I'm fully cabled Cat5e & Cat6, ive tested moving devices around to eliminate any wiring issue and Patch cable, the BQ16’s always connect at 10GB and ports speed is 10000 and it does not matter where I locate the devices the GT-BE98 always has the problem, and the port speed connects only at 10/100, but not if I set it up a a standalone router.

I've reset and readded the GT-BE98 into the AI mesh (multiple times) but it always flops back down to port speed of 10/100

2. Speed test
The BQ16 is connected to my ISP (10GB fibre) but the best speeds i get from the BQ 16 directly connected is 4.1GB up / 6GB down), yet when i test from a 10GB client i get to 8GB/up/Down - which is what i would expect, i have removed some policies on the BQ16 as some posts suggested but do not see an improvement.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• BQ16 connecting fine.png
    BQ16 connecting fine.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 44
  • GT-BE98.png
    GT-BE98.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 31
That was the only port showing 100MB, I just unplugged that device and changed to port 3, 100MB moves with it, device plugged is just an Ethernet to RS32 convertor to a Monoprice (music amp). Im getting closer....

It feels like the GT-BE98 or the BQ16 believes that to be the Uplink (which it is not) do you know if it locks in a MAC or IP ? somewhere? can that be changed in config somewhere ?

Attachments

• GT-BE98v2.png
    GT-BE98v2.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 23
Do you have ethernet backhaul mode enabled on the router?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-21 154517.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-21 154517.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 20
Please post a pic of your GT-BE98 (imesh GT-BE98), it should look similar to the one below.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-21 154835.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-21 154835.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 25
Ok. Unplug all the ethernet cables from the GT-BE98. Get the newest cat 6 ethernet cable you have and ensure to plug it into the WAN 10G port on the GT-BE98, do not plug in any other ethernet for now. After you're finished with that post 2 pics GT-BE98, one with the management tab and the other with the network tab.

Last edited:
Here you go - as requested. as you can see the 10G is lit up but it still goes to 10/100

Attachments

• GT-BE98v4.png
    GT-BE98v4.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 28
  • GT-BE98v5.png
    GT-BE98v5.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 35
Yep, that’s weird. The only other thing I can recommend is resetting the GT-BE98 and then set it up as a node. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Do you know how to reset it?

Yes i know how to reset and bring back as a node, only issue is that i have done that multiple times :-( but it seems to end up in the same state.. i was hoping there was some config that i wasn't aware of, seems a shame that i went Asus only that there products don't seem to function the way they should. thx for all your help.

No problem. It may be an issue with the router not being the same as the node, but I don’t know. All I have is the BQ16 Pro.

Yes i know how to reset and bring back as a node, only issue is that i have done that multiple times :-( but it seems to end up in the same state.. i was hoping there was some config that i wasn't aware of, seems a shame that i went Asus only that there products don't seem to function the way they should. thx for all your help.
I'm waiting for a 10Gb connection and I would like to get the same configuration 1x BE98 and 2x BQ16 (to be placed on the 2 floors and connect them vai cable), but reading this I'm changing my mind. Were you able to solve it?

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a 10Gb connection and I would like to get the same configuration 1x BE98 and 2x BQ16 (to be placed on the 2 floors and connect them vai cable), but reading this I'm changing my mind. Were you able to solve it?
I'm trying to solve, i might reset the AI mesh on the BQ16 and start over to see if port speed of the BT98 is fixed, i have a hunch that somehow it is locked in a setting not exposed in the AI mesh. I wish this was visible seems like an Easy Missing option to specify which Port you want to use as the backhaul, not everyone will want to use 10GB some might prefer 2.5GB or 1GB

Ive spoken to Asus support, looks like it might be a defective 10GB Port on the BT98, i currently have it running over the 2.5GB (and that is working fine) but the reason i bought these was for thew 10GB backbone - they have given me a contact to request a replacement device as it is under warranty.

Ill repot back once i get a new device - just to update and confirm that 10GB, but it looks like I was the only one having this specific issue, id say its safe to combine the BQ16 and BT98.

Attachments

• GT-BE98v6.png
    GT-BE98v6.png
    180 KB · Views: 13

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!