What's new

Bridge recommendations...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Assuming that you can use a second RT-AC66U in bridge mode, that's what I'd do rather than "repeater" mode. Unless you can receive on the repeater on 2.4GHz. and transmit from it on 5GHz. (unusual), you'll cut your wireless speed in half. For example, if you're receiving on the 5GHz. band on your repeater and transmitting on the 5Ghz. band, you just lost at least half of your wireless rate on 5GHz., since there's only one 5GHz. radio in the RT-AC66U...and it has to listen on 5GHz. before it can re-transmit, so you've reduced yourself to half-duplex. You have to be careful with repeaters and wireless network extenders, because you can really lose the advantages of wireless-AC speed that way.

If you use the RT-AC66U as a bridge, it goes full speed on the receiving end, and then you have the wired ports also at full speed. So you can get full wireless-AC speed between the main router and bridge. Or if you use the second RT-AC66U as an Access Point (hardwired or equivalent to the main router), then you also have full speed wireless at the Access Point, plus the LAN wired ports on the AP as well.

Several ways to go here, but make sure that you understand the pros and cons of each. Sounds like you're learning some by trial-and-error, things that you learn that way stay with you longer *smile*.

Here, I get internet from my router to my entertainment center using MoCA, which gives me enough speed for streaming, say 85Mbps. Not wireless-AC speed, but very consistent and reliable throughput. I've noticed that wireless speed varies quite a lot, so it isn't my first choice for media streaming, personally.