What's new

Bridge with own SSID?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FlamingoGT

New Around Here
I'm trying to see if there is one device that will do this: Currently we do have wifi. I want a device that can connect to the current wifi as its uplink and have its own network and SSID that it broadcasts out. I know I can do this with one router set up as a bridge and then hardwire it to another router that is set up for the new network. Is this the only real way to do this, or is there a router that can do this all as one unit? This set up will only be used very temporarily for certain circumstances.

What you want is called a WISP (Wireless ISP) router, where the router's WAN is virtualized over a wireless client connection to the remote wireless ISP, while still maintaining its own AP. This is NOT very common w/ your typical consumer-grade router. But you will find it sometimes w/ travel routers, and third-party firmware (e.g., DD-WRT, FreshTomato) for compatible hardware.

It's also possible to use *any* router provided you patch its wired WAN to a standalone wireless ethernet bridge. Granted, this results in using two devices, but it removes the need/burden to find a single device that supports WISP mode natively.

Last edited:
As a single device solution, what kind of performance and other specs are you looking for besides this specific feature? You could pick up an old ASUS RT-AC68U (or T-Mobile TM-AC1900) on eBay, install DD-WRT or FreshTomato (it may even have this installed already by the seller), and do it on the cheap, perhaps $20-30. OTOH, if you're looking for other highend features ($$), that would be good to know before making recommendations.

As a single device solution, what kind of performance and other specs are you looking for besides this specific feature? You could pick up an old ASUS RT-AC68U (or T-Mobile TM-AC1900) on eBay, install DD-WRT or FreshTomato (it may even have this installed already by the seller), and do it on the cheap, perhaps $20-30. OTOH, if you're looking for other highend features ($$), that would be good to know before making recommendations.
Performance wise, very minimal. Really only need 2.4G band and the device attaching to it will only be a few feet away.
I work for a manufacturer of motorized window treatments and we carry a bridge that allows the consumer to control their blinds from an app. We have a training class about once a month and one of the things we cover is the programming of this bridge, which can be done by either wifi or ethernet. I don't currently have an ethernet drop near where this training is done, and don't really want a bunch of strangers on our internal network, so was going to use this requested device to connect between our internal network and the temporary wifi AP that will then be used to train how to program our bridge (and also to provide an internet connection for this bridge to communicate with the app server).
I do have a RT-AC66 that I can try this with. I have mostly used Merlin the last several years, but have used DD-WRT in the past, and know of Tomato. If I really need a AC68 instead, I can go that route too. Or if it would truly be better, I can spend a few hundred on this project (it's not MY money lol) and get a WISP type device.
Thank you.

Well if you want to keep users off the upstream internal network, that WON'T typical happen by default. Usually access defaults to ALLOW for LAN->WAN, so you'll need a router that allows you to limit access (via the firewall) to only specific devices (e.g., that server) on the upstream network. That's why I prefer third-party firmware where I know it's completely configurable. I can't say that's necessarily the case of OEM firmware.

Here's a script I wrote years ago for this type of configuration. It limits clients behind the WISP router to DHCP, DNS, and ICMP (ping), while denying access to the immediate upstream private network(s). It provides an example of how you could make an exception for an upstream printer.

I'm trying to see if there is one device that will do this: Currently we do have wifi. I want a device that can connect to the current wifi as its uplink and have its own network and SSID that it broadcasts out. I know I can do this with one router set up as a bridge and then hardwire it to another router that is set up for the new network. Is this the only real way to do this, or is there a router that can do this all as one unit? This set up will only be used very temporarily for certain circumstances.
Perhaps simply yo may set the main router to broadcast more wifi ssids. Most of them hav, for example, ssid for guests.

If not, you may try a wifi repeater. Connects to the main wifi, and broadcasts its own one.

GL-iNet travel routers:

Asus RT-AX57 Go:
GL-Inet routers will allow you to setup guest networks which might give you the isolation you need. If not have the GL-inet router connect to a guest network that restricts access to the intranet.