What's new

bridged router/modem doesnt work with stb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gkyle840

Occasional Visitor
I have recently set up a few security cameras and a vpn.
I got an asus AC68u router that is running behind my uverse modem/router(3801hgv)
the uverse modem/router is now in dmz+ mode with all security turned off and everything is connected to the asus router. my uverse stb needs to be connected to the uverse router but it gets no signal from it when I do so.
it also does not work connected to the asus router. I have a managed switch connected to the asus router for my cameras and when I connect the uverse stb to this I get a tv signal for about 5 seconds and then it cuts off. is there a workaround to get my stb to function correctly?

I don’t use dmz mode with U-verse. I use bridged mode and select my router to get the wan up from the U-verse modem. Stb connects to U-verse and no problem. Stb needs to get an ip from the U-verse modem for everything to work

Thanks for the reply. The current uverse modem is 3801hgv and it does not have a bridge mode, only a router behind router mode.
Att is sending me a new modem that should be here tomorrow though.

Ohh yes. Now I remember. That 3801 had the worst setup. It is possible to get it working using that DMZ plus mode, but I only used that router when I was setting up SMB DSL for people, so STB access was never a problem. When I moved to ATT Internet 75 I think they called it (from comcast), I had to get a new router and that one had bridge mode. This is where I liked to say that I have ATT fiber and bridge mode works great on that router too. :)

You might be able to get it working if you are using coax for the STB, but the upgraded modems should be a little more straightforward.

I'm hoping the new modem will be better. I think att has been sending out bgw210 which I know nothing about but hopefully it has bridge mode.

The new router is an NVG599. Does anyone know if this router can be set up to work with my Asus router behind it as well as having my stb working properly while connected to the nvg599

I believe the nvg has a similar menu layout as the bgw210 and supports the same features. You put your router on dhcp for the wan and can then select the ASUS MAC address on the att router for bridge/Ip pass though. After restarting your ASUS will pick up your art ip. If you connect your stb to the att router it should still work

Thanks. Will doing as you posted above allow everything to work correctly using openvpn on the Asus so I can remotely view my PoE cameras?