What's new

Bridging a router from public wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael777

New Around Here
I have a diagram of what I am trying to do here. I am allowed all the free WiFi I like where I live. What I want to do is create my own hopefully secure network. I have a net gear wnr3500L v2. or Linksys wrt54G v8 firmware I could use with DDwrt.. firmware. I would like to have all my wireless devices access my printer and NAS. The tab need to be connected to the net to access the printer with the apps I'm using. I have been messing with the gateways and DHCP. The theory I have is almost there, I do need some better insight though. I would like to bridge the public WiFi into my own router and have my computers and tabs to be able to access the internet. Any help mucho appreciated

The diagram of what I'm doing is attached.

Attachments

• network.png
    network.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,129
Last edited:
First thing I notice is that your ISP (public wifi) is giving you a Private IP, not a Public IP. This will place you in a double nat configuration and might affect some of the things you are able to do with your devices.

I am not sure what DART firmware is, but the NG WRN3500 should be the better hardware of the two you have to use in your case.

All you should need to do is disable (or don't use) the wireless from the public wifi and use the NG WRN3500's WiFi instead.

With everything connected to the NG, you should be as secure as possible.

I would recommend though that you consider any other router than the ones you have. Even the old (but still good) RT-N66U is much better than either of those even older routers you have now.

Most any of the current wireless extenders will get you connected to the public Wi-Fi. Then connect the extender Ethernet jack to your current router's WAN port.

You want to have a router between your network and the public Wi-Fi. Otherwise you'll be open to all sorts of mischief.

First thing I notice is that your ISP (public wifi) is giving you a Private IP, not a Public IP. This will place you in a double nat configuration and might affect some of the things you are able to do with your devices.

I am not sure what DART firmware is, but the NG WRN3500 should be the better hardware of the two you have to use in your case.

All you should need to do is disable (or don't use) the wireless from the public wifi and use the NG WRN3500's WiFi instead.
wnr3500Lv2 or
links us wrt54gv8

I would recommend though that you consider any other router than the ones you have. Even the old (but still good) RT-N66U is much better than either of those even older routers you have now.

But the public WiFi is the only source and I have no control over it. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yeah I know, they are old, I got them at goodwill, lol, thanks

Most any of the current wireless extenders will get you connected to the public Wi-Fi. Then connect the extender Ethernet jack to your current router's WAN port.

You want to have a router between your network and the public Wi-Fi. Otherwise you'll be open to all sorts of mischief.

So I hear apple has a device that works well and has lots of options built in? True?

But the public WiFi is the only source and I have no control over it. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yeah I know, they are old, I got them at goodwill, lol, thanks

I don't understand how that changes the answer I gave?

So I hear apple has a device that works well and has lots of options built in? True?

Apple has the least options exposed to the user of almost any device out there (except the new wave of 'hubs' that are infiltrating unknowledgeable consumers homes).

Asus (even with stock firmware and particularly with RMerlin firmware) has the most options available to the end user to configure as they need or wish.

Oh, because I don't know why I would disable the public wifi, I have no administration access to it and the NG is mine to configure. It does do WDS. Maybe I'll play around with that.

I know what you mean about apple stuff and it non-configurable devices but I think their extended is pretty configurable.

Was may be what I'm looking for eh, the netgear has it

You want to disable the 'public wifi' router's radios so they don't interfere with the NG you will setup.

You also want to disable WDS (security issues).

I don't see apple being user configurable in any sense. But we'll agree to disagree on this point. :)

What the NG doesn't have is great range and throughput vs. even an RT-N66U. In addition, it has many security holes (again; don't know how that is affected with the DART firmware you plan to use on it) that are built into the firmware and for which there is no update for. If you really want to secure your network, the NG is not the device to use, imo.

Believe me, I'm with you, I argued the same thing with the supposed tech guru who lived here, he uses the apple. I argued the same thing but just strated to read up on them. I like this page, http://www.tp-link.us/faq-442.html . I think in client mode I may be able to do what's intended? What do you think?

Believe me, I'm with you, I argued the same thing with the supposed tech guru who lived here, he uses the apple. I argued the same thing but just strated to read up on them. I like this page, http://www.tp-link.us/faq-442.html . I think in client mode I may be able to do what's intended? What do you think?

No point arguing with apple guys (if it works, then they can stop thinking about it). But configurable to the scale that Asus offers, it is not.

I'm not sure why you think client mode is preferred?

Wireless router mode is what I would choose for the most secure setup (and isolation) from the 'public wifi'.

I don't know why you are referencing TP-Link material for your NG running this elusive DART firmware?

Can you give us a link to DART?

Lol, that's awesome spell check came up with dart for ddwrt. I'll check the asus, been using their motherboards for 20 years, I do agree with the router wireless mode after reading more into them, thank you

DART... Lol... I thought I had to learn about another firmware possibility. :)

Most travel routers will do exactly what you're looking to do - WiFI as WAN...

Check the main site - number of reviews there..

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!