What's new

Building a mesh network with 2 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BuddyRich

New Around Here
Not sure if it's possible but I want to add a 2nd wifi router to increase my range (mainly 5ghz, 2.4 isn't bad)...

Current my Inet runs into a wdr3700 that serves the whole house. I run cat6 from it to a switch in network room In the far east end of my house which runs cat6 to my main file server (win 8 box) in same room and then runs cat 6 to my office on the west side of house... Up half a floor as we'll. I'm in a split level with 4 half floors.

I've just bought an wdr7000 to use in ap or bridge mode in my office to better serve upstairs and that side of the house with wireless. My question is do I want ap mode? Can I use the same SSID and have seamless switching or do I need to use different SSIDS on the two routers and manually manage it... I'm guess channel 1 and 11 to rule out interference. Not sure on 5ghz bands.

Also which router should be used as the router (I'm guessing the beefier r7000) and 3700 will just be an ap.)

hey, most router/APs wont do that. there's reviews around here about devices that can by ubiquiti, but in your case you should just use different frequencies and ssid's, etc.

Yes my terminology may be incorrect. Adding an AP is what I want to do. that article answered my question on SSID naming as well. I'll have two static location devices but everything else is a phone or tablet so I think I will use separate names but perhaps ios and android are better in that regard now regarding stickiness.

WiFi router + one or more APs... is coverage expansion.
I recommend a unique SSID per AP with the SSID name implying location (like FamRm). This permits users to choose best-AP, since client devices don't do so.

As said above, a 'mesh' network is a totally different beast than APs with overlapping coverage.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!