What's new

Buy a new WiFi USB Adapter or use powerline?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerbuilder

New Around Here
I'm currently using the Asus AC-53 USB adapter, and it sometimes goes crazy by choosing not to connect (yellow exclamation icon).

Which new WiFi USB Adapter or powerline adapter should I buy to replace my current setup?

I would stick with the adapter you have, and do some troubleshooting... the USB-AC53 is generally stable, the USB-AC53 Nano is relatively new.

What OS are you running?

I would stick with the adapter you have, and do some troubleshooting... the USB-AC53 is generally stable, the USB-AC53 Nano is relatively new.

What OS are you running?

sorry my mistake - it's USB-AC56, not 53.

running win 10 x64.

have searched before for solutions but to no avail. also tried installing the original realtek drivers but still exhibiting same issues - sometimes it just refuses to connect for no reason.

Buy a cheap router from ASUS and use Media bridge mode

i'm currenly using TP-Link Archer C9 as my main router. will it work if i buy any router from ASUS? will the speeds be slower than using a USB WiFi adapter? i can currently hit around 80mbps (on a 200mbps connection) via speedtest.

sorry my mistake - it's USB-AC56, not 53.

running win 10 x64.

have searched before for solutions but to no avail. also tried installing the original realtek drivers but still exhibiting same issues - sometimes it just refuses to connect for no reason.

Big difference there - and with the USB-AC56 - consider removing the external antenna if one is close to the AP...

The Realtek drivers are a bit odd - there is some performance to be found inside the "advanced settings" as the defaults are conservative - and with Win10 - use the drivers from Windows Update directly, do not use the Asus drivers/application stuff. They're more for earlier versions of Windows, and the util can make a mess of things.

Big difference there - and with the USB-AC56 - consider removing the external antenna if one is close to the AP...

The Realtek drivers are a bit odd - there is some performance to be found inside the "advanced settings" as the defaults are conservative - and with Win10 - use the drivers from Windows Update directly, do not use the Asus drivers/application stuff. They're more for earlier versions of Windows, and the util can make a mess of things.

Yes I have already uninstalled the Asus application/drivers and used the Realtek driver exclusively. What needs to be tweaked in the "advanced settings"?

The speed is more than adequate for me. It's just the reliability (sometimes it just refuses to connect) that gets me.

Last edited:
Are you connecting to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network? Are there lots of other networks nearby that are using the same frequency and channel?

I've g
I've got a no name USB adaptor with a 8812BU chip in it, and it's pretty weird especially in 5ghz.

What would removing the antenna accomblish? and you mean literally just unscrewing it?

Are you connecting to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network? Are there lots of other networks nearby that are using the same frequency and channel?

my issue is definitely not about 2.4G vs 5G. I know 5G is less crowded and I've tried both bands, the connection is both 3-4 bars with gd connection quality, just that sometimes it refuses to connect on startup/ disconnects and never comes back on later.