What's new

Buying an AP - Is Interference From RF Remote Controls a Concern?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shutterman

New Around Here
Somewhat of a wireless novice here, so please forgive the noob questions. I’m looking for an access point (or a router than can be configured as one) to fit the following situation:

I have a wired gigabit network in my home that interconnects a couple of desktop computers. I also have a gigabit switch installed on this network. The switch is located in a media closet next to an equipment rack that contains some home theater and audio gear. Included in the rack is a “narrow-band” (not sure, exactly, what this means) receiver and antenna that serve my RF remote control.

I wish to use an available port on the switch to install an access point. I will be able to mount the access point a few feet above the equipment rack, but it will still need to remain inside the media closet.

So my question is…with the above setup, should I be concerned with radio interference? If so, would I be apt to get less interference with an AP that operates at 2.4GHz or one that operates at 5 GHz?

The application for the AP will be to provide connectivity for a couple of laptops that will spend most of their time in the home theater room (35ft from equip rack). These will be purchased new, so I will have the opportunity to choose laptops that can utilize the 5 GHz range (assuming there is an advantage?).

The laptops will be used primarily for Internet, email, documents & spreadsheets, etc. while watching movies/TV or listening to music. I do not expect to do any media streaming via the AP or anything like that (at least, not right off). Never the less, I would still like something that can take advantage of the speed offered via the existing wired gigabit network. (If it matters, the desktop NICs as well as the switch can have jumbo frames enabled.)

Any guidance anyone can share would be appreciated.

The spec for the MRF-3 says: RF Freq: 418 or 433 MHZ (Narrow Band)

This won't interfere with either 2.4 or 5 GHz Wi-Fi. You can use either band with your laptops.

The spec for the MRF-3 says: RF Freq: 418 or 433 MHZ (Narrow Band)
Ahhh...yes. Perhaps if I'd wear my reading glasses a little more often as my wife suggests I do, I would have seen that spec on Universal's web site. <sigh>. Never the less, thanks for the reply. I was reasonably certain it wouldn't be a problem, but thought I'd double check with someone to be sure.

You do a wonderful job with your website, btw. You provide the kind of info that no one else does. It is much appreciated.