What's new

Buying new access point / routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

G

gdelano

Alrighty, so as of now I've been setting up roaming wireless networks for people based on three Linksys WRT54GL's setup in access point mode running dd-wrt. I run an ethernet to each WRT54GL from the Sonicwall and turn off dhcp on each router making the sonicwall dhcp authoritative. then i assign each router a different configuration on the network so I can manage them from any desktop. The three routers all run on the same SSID and on channels 1, 6, and 11 to make sure there is no wireless interference between them and allows clients to move back and forth between the coverage zone of each router without having to disconnect.. reconnect.. disconnect repeatedly.

Until now this has worked great, but as of recent I've been looking for ways to cut costs and for as much work as I need these routers to do, $70 seems like a lot to spend on a router when other routers are going for $30 to $45 and can perform the same functions.

Now I need a recommendation on a router that has excellent reliability as well as being compatible with dd-wrt, and can also support approximately 30 to 50 clients per router.

If you have any more questions about how I set it up or would like to set one up of your own I would be more than willing to help you.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!