What's new

Can an original 2022 Asus Wrt be safe?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lenovomen

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

If the firmware on the Asus website was last updated in 2022, is it safe? Or is it recommended to install the Merlin version instead? Does it affect your safe operation?

To add context to what the OP is asking in this discussion, note their other discussions they've started asking the similar questions:

@lenovomen, you can review the publicly available change log for the 2022 Asus firmware along with the change log for Asus-Merlin firmware (or GNuton firmware if that is what you are using) and decide for yourself just how secure the old 2022 firmware is compared to the latest Asus or Asus-Merlin firmware. Generally newer firmware will have CVE's and other discovered vulnerabilities and issues patched or fixed that are not fixed/patched in the older firmware.

I still have one Cisco RV345P router (well known target) in use running on 2022 firmware behind an ISP gateway. It's in my vacation home and my only concern is someone hacking the Wi-Fi connected fridge there and stealing the food... The answer to "is it safe" question depends on the use case.

For a primary router: no, it's not safe (quite a few patched security holes accumulate in just one year, let alone in two or five...)

For an AiMesh node: yes, it's ok.

I was thinking of the Asus AX58U. I called Asus customer support and they said that it's not Windows, it's ok to have firmware installed from 5 years ago because it's safe the way it is. So what is true?
The latest Asus firmware for the RT-AX58U is 3.0.0.4.388_25127 and was released two weeks ago (2024/09/30).

Maybe he meant AC58U...

For Asus-Merlin the RT-AX58U supports 3004.388.8_2 which was posted July 31, 2024.
The GNuton fork of Asus-Merlin RT-AX58U V2 is 3004.388.8_2-gnuton1 from August 04, 2024.

Maybe he meant AC58U...
That might make more sense, but even then the RT-AC58U and RT-AC58U_v2 are both EOL per Asus. Not exactly the best router to buy (unless one has no other choice and there are no other options) for use as a internet facing router due to it's age. Better to buy something other than an AC series router for internet facing use at this point since most if not all of the AC line is or soon will be EOL by Asus. Plus RMerlin has indicated he is planning to end support for the 386 models by the end of 2024.

ASUS RT-AC58U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52504 (2021/05/14)
ASUS RT-AC58U V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52497 (2023/05/25)
ASUS RT-AC58U V3 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51312 (2023/05/25)

PS: A quick look at Asus-Merlin and GNuton; neither, unless I missed it, appear to support the RT-AC58U or the subsequent V2 and V3 (not Broadcom based I'd assume).

Last edited:
I can suggest Fortinet FortiGate, Cisco Firepower, WatchGuard Firebox, etc. appliances. For Gigabit capable model the hardware is $1000 or less, small site subscription is $400-800/year... pretty safe and widely used solutions. Similar Netgate with Snort rules subscription comes close.

The latest Asus firmware for the RT-AX58U is 3.0.0.4.388_25127 and was released two weeks ago (2024/09/30).
Yes, it has indeed received many updates. Sorry I didn't look at it properly, another model received in 2022

Is the AX58U such a good model? Do you know any other model that gets updates so often? Is it worth replacing my tuf3000v2 router? Or will the gnuton Merlin provide regular updates and be just as good a choice?

Or which model should you buy, the one with the most updates and the best value for money?
You haven't posted your use case or any features you are looking for other than asking about security updates and which is better with respect to security updates. Flesh out your use case and network layout so others can provide a more balanced and informed opinion. At the very least explain how the router will be connected to the internet. Will it be behind another router or gateway or firewall (double nat'ed for example)? What is your budget? Do you need WiFi 7 support? How will the router be used. And so on. More information the better.

Is it worth replacing my tuf3000v2 router?

It’s basically the same router with different marketing. Both budget general use and gaming category. Consumer devices safe enough for home use, not good for bank branch, business, etc.

Last edited:
You haven't posted your use case or any features you are looking for other than asking about security updates and which is better with respect to security updates. Flesh out your use case and network layout so others can provide a more balanced and informed opinion. At the very least explain how the router will be connected to the internet. Will it be behind another router or gateway or firewall (double nat'ed for example)? What is your budget? Do you need WiFi 7 support? How will the router be used. And so on. More information the better.
If you can recommend a better one than the tuf3000v2 it can do the following: wifi6 enough, for home use. Cameras, smart lock, tv and phones would connect to it.

If you can recommend a better one than the tuf3000v2 it can do the following: wifi6 enough, for home use. Cameras, smart lock, tv and phones would connect to it.
What is your budget? Do you need Guest Network Pro/VLAN support, what about VPN, AiMesh, etc.? Plenty of routers out there can do WiFi6 for basic home use.