What's new

Can an original 2022 Asus Wrt be safe?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plenty of models with about the same security updates at about the same time. Like the recent firmware release round for almost all popular models.

Plenty of models with about the same security updates at about the same time. Like the recent firmware release round for almost all popular models.
I see. Let me put the question another way. Is it worth switching from tuf3000v2 to AX58U or is using TUF with gnuton Merlin the same safe option as axu58u with factory fresh firmware updates?

You already asked about TUF-AX3000 (V2) vs RT-AX58U (V2) and got an answer.

You already asked about Asuswrt vs Asuswrt-Merlin security and got an answer.

The biggest security risk on a home network is the user. The lower educated how to protect him(her)self the worse. Statistically >90% of security issues originate from inside the network. Clicking on a link, downloading something, opening email attachment, new no-name IoT with cloud control, etc.

I can suggest Fortinet FortiGate

Nothing is "safe" anymore...

The only way to have a "safe" router is to secure it yourself. Limit exposure to a reliable VPN service, and use strong passwords. And apparently "SSL VPN" used by Fortinet cannot qualify as safe according to this security bulletin. OpenVPN, Wireguard and Strongswan seem to be more reliable, the first one having even been through actual code audit a few years ago.