What's new

Can I get a router that does this..and what should I get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

silvercue

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

Sorry for my first post just being a plee for advice, I have been seeking advice elsewhere and getting conflicting answers, so I ended up here. I have tried search feature but can't find what I am looking for (maybe user error!)

I have been a Virgin Media Cable user (UK) for a long time. I am now on 100m cable and generally happy. I am considering getting a router and putting the Superhub (the new one) into modem mode.

Anyway, the reasons I want to do this are that I often find I want to do more that I can through the Superhub for example monitoring traffic and bandwidth utilisation on specific devices (lots of devices on my home network, wired and wireless), set bandwidth and other restrictions on certain devices, disconnect devices as I want through a GUI and a few other things.

The most important thing I want to do is setting bandwidth limits to certain devices that are hogging bandwidth. This is where I am getting conflicting advice. I know there are ways to do this on the device but that is not what I need right now.

I am also hoping that it may help with an issue I get with my PS4 dropping network connection quite often but that it not a certainty for sure.

I would like it to be good on the Wifi front too.

What I was hoping for was some advice on the best router for my needs and known to work well with Virgin set up. Happy to spend up to a max of £200, Sweet spot would be £80-£100 so only want to spend a lot if it is really giving me some more features.

Thanks for reading

RT-AC68U (particularly the latest 1GHz clocked revision) or above (RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or RT-AC5300).

Any of the above running RMerlin firmware (final or the current alpha3).

I know nothing about Virgin (and I don't think it should matter), but the routers recommended will give you the best chance at what you want.

RT-AC68U (particularly the latest 1GHz clocked revision) or above (RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or RT-AC5300).

Any of the above running RMerlin firmware (final or the current alpha3).

I know nothing about Virgin (and I don't think it should matter), but the routers recommended will give you the best chance at what you want.
had a little look - do I need to install RMerlin myself or can I get with that firmware?

Thanks again. I see that these series and Nighthawk seem to be in a similar space. I will read about RMerlin and look at ordering one.

People do seem to occasionally complain about the traffic-shaping (limiting certain devices' bandwidth) capabilities of AsusWRT being non-functional or unintuitive.

Ultimately, I switched to pfSense for that precise reason, though... it may have purely been me that was causing the AsusWRT configurations to never work.

People do seem to occasionally complain about the traffic-shaping (limiting certain devices' bandwidth) capabilities of AsusWRT being non-functional or unintuitive.

Ultimately, I switched to pfSense for that precise reason, though... it may have purely been me that was causing the AsusWRT configurations to never work.
thanks - does it work better now you have done that?

thanks - does it work better now you have done that?

Yeah, but I had practically no understanding of what traffic-shaping was or what it could do back when I used my Asus RT-N66U as my router, so ...