What's new

Can I see live DNS lookups

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

Is there a command to run from console to see live DNS lookups? I mainly need it to find domains used by devices or apps to take full advantage of the VPN Director.
I know Diversion has this feature, but I had ro remove it as it made the GUI unresponsive.

/Tom

You could enter the following command and then look at the queries in the System Log.
Code:
killall dnsmasq; dnsmasq --log-async --log-queries

You could enter the following command and then look at the queries in the System Log.
Code:
killall dnsmasq; dnsmasq --log-async --log-queries
Building upon the above suggestion, if you want to get a separate log file temporarily (perhaps for easier review later), you can specify a full path to a log file.

For example:
Bash:
killall dnsmasq ; dnsmasq --log-async --log-queries --log-facility="/opt/var/tmp/dnsmasq.queries.log"

Of course, the folder path must already exist. Once you're done, don't forget to put things as they were before so that logging goes back to the System Log. The temporary log file can grow big fairly quickly, depending on your network activity.
Code:
service restart_dnsmasq