What's new

Can I use my cellphone's wireless hotspot in addition to the router's WAN to get double the speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

My ISP gives me 930MBPS down/350 MBPS up which I get by connecting the router to the LAN cable from the wall. My cellphone has unlimited 5G which gives me 1200 MBPS down/80MBPS down.

Is there a way to make the router connect to the cellphone's wireless hotspot and use its speed in addition to the WAN port simultaneously? I saw an option for Dual WAN but that only supports another USB device or LAN cable not WiFi

I tried connecting the laptop to the Wireless Hotspot on my cellphone but I still get the speed of my LAN which is 930/350 so it's like the WiFi connection is acting as a fallback not combined.

Maybe. Depends on your router if it supports WAN via USB and if it can talk to your phone. So you seem to be set here, just connect your phone with a USB cable and see if the router detects it.
On top of that, it needs to support bonding the Ethernet WAN port and the USB port your phone is connected to.

Very few routers would allow this over WiFi.

There is no way to bond/aggregate two different Internet connections. Load balancing with different clients using different connections simultaneously is possible. Only this configuration may achieve aggregate higher throughput than individual connections. Unfortunately, Dual WAN in Asuswrt may not produce expected results. I wouldn't bother, >900/300 is excellent. WAN over Wi-Fi or also called WISP is not available on Asus routers with exception of one new travel router model - RT-AX57 Go.

Unless the ISP(s) give you additional equipment to bond to dissimilar connections, no.

Even if they did, you will not get 'double the speed' to any one client. At best, you would get the maximum combined speeds of both raw connections when using multiple devices simultaneously.

A single device calling to a single server out on the internet cannot use two paths to get there.

The 930 down/350 up connection trumps the cell phone's 1200/80 speeds in real-world use.

The 930 down/350 up connection trumps the cell phone's 1200/80 speeds in real-world use.
Got it, this also makes me finalize my decision as my current 2 year contract for the 930/350 is up for renewal and I was thinking what would be better to keep my existing plan or get the ISP's 5G router but what swayed me away is the low upload speed of 80 that's just too slow for me.

Mobile Internet speed and latency depends on cell tower load. Your home broadband connection is perhaps fiber and much better option.