What's new

Can someone help me with IPv6 speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the latest stable release

oh, haha, sorry. I've been dealing with this for about 24 hours and my head hurts.

EDIT: Mr. Merlin does say that IPv6 code needs some special attention on these new beta releases. Perhaps code is broken in places?
I will reflash and try.

oh, haha, sorry. I've been dealing with this for about 24 hours and my head hurts.

EDIT: Mr. Merlin does say that IPv6 code needs some special attention on these new beta releases. Perhaps code is broken in places?
I will reflash and try.

if 43 fixes things, it would probably be helpful if you went through the betas to pinpoint the regression

if 43 fixes things, it would probably be helpful if you went through the betas to pinpoint the regression

Agreed.

Just flashed it. Let's test...

EDIT: Bummer. Same result. Well, I guess we can blame a setting somewhere....it's not the firmware. There's probably some dumb setting somewhere doing something.

Interestingly enough, I seem to be hitting a wall of 24Mbps during IPv6 speed testing. It never goes higher. When I had default firewall settings within my ATT NV589 enabled, I'd hit a wall of 5Mbps. Disabling my NVG589's firewall (so the RT-N66U could handle everything) is what has allowed me to hit 24Mbps IPv6. Well, that and setting MTU to 1472. Though now there appears no difference between 1472 or 1480 MTU. I'm still hitting that 24Mbps wall.

Still strange though...no idea what could be causing this.

EDIT: I'm finding some Comcast users who are experiencing similar issues. I'll keep on reading...

EDIT: Interesting. Found this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29292241-Interesting-note-on-IPv6-performance

Those speed differences between IPv4 and IPv6 look awfully familiar.

EDIT: Very interesting read through that forum link. It would appear that Windows users and OSX users are seeing such speed degradation.

Last edited:
Could it be some kind of firewall issue? Or anti-virus software issue? I'm using ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

There is also another person who says I need to setup EUI-64 addressing and and DHCP Prefix Delegation, but I see no such options within the firmware.

When I run the IPv6 speed test it acts like something is capping it. There is something slowing it down somewhere...

EDIT: Now that I think of it, it can't be a firewall (hardware/software) issue because when I plug directly into the NVG589 I get full speed IPv6 while testing with the same computers. It has got to be at the RT-N66U.

Some setting, but what!?

EDIT:

- If I re-enable IPv6 on my NVG589, I can put the RT-N66U into "Native" mode and IPv6 works. However, speed is still stuck at 24Mbps or so.

- If I re-enable IPv6 on my NVG589, I can put the RT-N66U into "Tunnel 6rd" mode, but IPv6 stops working and I cannot access IPv6 websites.

- If I disable IPv6 on my NVG589, I can put the RT-N66U into "Tunnel 6rd" mode and IPv6 works. However, speed is still stuck at 24Mbps or so.

- If I disable IPv6 on my NVG589, I can put the RT-N66U into "Native" mode, but IPv6 stops working and I cannot access IPv6 websites.

- If I re-enable IPv6 on my NVG589, put it in "passthrough" or "bridge" mode, and disable IPv6 on the RT-N66U, IPv4 works...but IPv6 does not. IPv6 from the NVG589 does not "passthrough" or "bridge" to my RT-N66U.

...things I've learned through testing.

Last edited:
OK, got it working.

Here's what I did and what someone else might have to do:

1) Put the NVG589 into passthrough mode. I followed steps here: http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-a...n-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/td-p/3552057

2) As per the guide's instructions, I turned everything off on the NVG589's "Advanced Firewall" section.

3) Make sure IPv6 is enabled on the NVG589.

4) Once passthrough mode is done and the firewall has been dealt with, go to your Asus router.

5) Make sure your Asus router is receiving what it needs from the NVG589 to get online and stuff.

6) Enable IPv6 mode within the Asus firmware and select "Native" and DHCP-PD.

7) Give it a few minutes and/or reboot it.

8) Test for IPv6 connectivity and run a speed test to verify proper performance.

DONE.

Thanks for your help!!!

582518924.png

EDIT: I thought I'd write out some interesting observations regarding all this.

- First off, it was my understanding that ATT UVERSE service uses Tunnel 6rd for IPv6. Though I can get IPv6 working with Tunnel 6rd, it was the reason why I was limited to just 24Mbps.
- Secondly, it would appear that ATT UVERSE is using Native IPv6...at least for me. Setting Native and DHCP-PD within firmware allowed for 45+Mbps. Seems proper now.

Is it possible that ATT UVERSE is now on Native IPv6? After all, that's how I'm able to get it to work correctly.

EDIT: Though speed is great and all, I'm noticing certain pages fail to load properly. Facebook for example doesn't load right at all after having made these IPv6 adjustments. Google Music also had some issues playing music. Hrmmm.......

Maybe I can use SSH and adjust MTU size again? Perhaps this is a bug issue with incorrect MTU auto-readings? Strange.

EDIT: No change still. Traceroute to www.facebook.com completely times out. Have to test with IPv6 off and see if that's what's causing it.

EDIT: Okay...IPv6 Settings are causing it. I can now get to those sites with that feature disabled. So, this is weird?

EDIT: Just and update here in case someone comes across this thread. I've disabled IPv6 on UVERSE for now. It was just causing way too many issues. Speed was slow, major websites would time out. Google Music would stop pause often during streaming. It's a mess.

I'm working in this thread for now: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29436224-UVERSE-IPv6-Problems

Still no progress has been made.

Last edited: