What's new

Can two devices have the same SSID and passphrase if exposing the same network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IngoVals

Occasional Visitor
The main DSL modem/router is in the basement and its WiFi range is very weak on the upper floors. So we placed a AP on the top floor that has a CAT to the router. Now we set it up with the same settings on a SSID and it seems to work, though we are not sure and my brother (it is his house) claims he's had some weird experiences with the WiFi and router since. He's no expert so I have no idea if that is connected or based on his misunderstandings somehow.

So the idea is that when he walks with a wireless device (phones and tablets) outside the range of either router it would pick up the other one. So connections on the upper floors are now better, but perhaps the new AP just rules the WiFi and the original router is not really working.

I remember having random disconnects one time while in the basement on a wireless, not sure if connected to this issue.

Is there something wrong here and is this possible at all?

if you're trying to expand wifi by adding another AP and giving it the same settings ofcourse it will work. You can have thousands of APs with the same setting and it would be fine as long as you dont try to stuff them all into a small room in which you would overload their radios from the Kilowatts of wifi around.

For clients in this environment you just adjust roaming aggressiveness. Making a large wireless network does need a bit of planning such as survey, using channels that are least used and making sure your APs dont use the same channel between one another for best performance. Ofcourse you can just have the entire network on the same channel but that would be slower.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!