What's new

Can you put a NAS to sleep and wake i up with the click of a mouse?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

not that I've seen. To do so you'd have to login as admin using a browser on a PC. Some spin-down drives after inactivity to save power.
My NAS has a power-down schedule: off while we're sleeping.

Last edited:
NSA325 can be put to sleep on the HDDs inside. My is set to automatic.

Maintenance - Power

Message Ready

Power Management
Turn off hard disk(s) 15 minutes

Minimum UPS Capacity
Minimum UPS Capacity 50%

Note:
º This feature will not work now because there is no UPS control cable connected.

º The NSA automatically shuts down if the UPS's remaining charge gets down to this level.

Power On After Power Failure
(*) Keep Former Status
If the system was on when the power failed, it restarts automatically when the power is restored. If it was off, it stays off.

() Always Power On
The system restarts automatically when the power is restored.

() Always Power Off
The system will not restart after power failure. You must press the power button manually to restart it.

Power On/Off Schedule
() Enable Power Control Schedule

Wake On LAN Setting
(*) Enable Wake On LAN

I agree, I do not believe you can sleep a nas then mouse wake it.
I own a Synology and there is no user interface other than remote (http/telnet & the secure versions there of) so I assume your asking about another make of nas.

Here is the answer I got from Synology:

To turn it on, you have to press the physical power button. There is no way to turn it on using click of a button.
Are you referring to Wake on LAN? There is a difference between Waking up from nearly OFF state, and turning it on from OFF state.
To turn it on from OFF state (meaning the unit is completely turned off), the physical power button has to be pressed.

The Wake on LAN allows the unit to go into near OFF state, and you can use Wake on LAN control on the Synology Assistant to "wake it up."

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Sang Koo
Synology America Corp.
www.synology.com
425-818-1587 (option 4: pre-sales)

Many of our devices support Wake On LAN (WOL), you would also need to also have a network that supports the 'magic packet' for WOL functionality. This will allow the system to be turned on remotely. WOL support is covered in the 'specifications' section of our product pages.

The device can also be rebooted, and powered off, from the DSM interface via a web browser. The sleep/hibernation functions in our units are based on inactivity timers and are not manually activated.

Lastly, you can make power schedules to have the system power off and on a schedule of your choosing.

Andy D
Kind Regards,

Andy D
Synology America Corp.
www.synology.com

What is this near OFF state?
I have the auto power off if Synology is inactive for 30 min. I try WOL after this, but can't wake up the NAS. Is this complete power off?

I find the Synology answer very confusing.

for wake on LAN you need to know the mac address and you need to send the magic packet. Im currently working on mikrotik router to have automated wake on LAN so i can have an idle system go to sleep within 5 minutes and wake up whenever there is traffic meant for it. This is mainly to reduce the power use and heat from hosting servers which includes NAS.

I recently installed a NAS on my LAN. I downloaded Nirsoft's WOL tool, and created a Windows task that launches at Logon time, sending a WOL packet to my NAS whenever I log into my desktop. Works pretty nicely so far.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wake_on_lan.html

You can also use its UI to manually send the packet.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!