What's new

Solved Cannot add node into AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You've responded to an old post. In many cases you can join AiMesh over WiFi now, although there is the possibility that some combinations may still not work.

I had the expectation that it would be possible to "pair" over wifi

I don't have RT-AC86Us to test with, sorry. Use whatever method works for you. The post you quoted is >1 year old, the firmware was updated few times since then.

Thank you. I had the expectation that it would be possible to "pair" over wifi; and even that it would be required to do so... Connecting through Ethernet first was "first time right". Thanks again. (2 x AC86U: 1 Merlin and 1 Asus Official)
It's funny how communication can go sometimes.
I just wanted to say "thank you" and show my appreciation for a simple tip from Tech9 that saved me some time and some sanity. (I also appreciated that the tip was straightfoward and didn't require unexpected settings, multiple reboots etc.)
I'm aware the thread is old, and the tip is old. But my config exists today, and the tip solved my problem today. So my "thank you" was fresh.
Maybe I should just "like" the post next time.
Have a nice weekend everyone

It's funny how communication can go sometimes.
I just wanted to say "thank you" and show my appreciation for a simple tip from Tech9 that saved me some time and some sanity. (I also appreciated that the tip was straightfoward and didn't require unexpected settings, multiple reboots etc.)
I'm aware the thread is old, and the tip is old. But my config exists today, and the tip solved my problem today. So my "thank you" was fresh.
Maybe I should just "like" the post next time.
Have a nice weekend everyone
Looks like someone actually used Search function! ;)

Based on 386.3_2

From my experience, the following way of configuration will always fail.
Condition 1. ac86u or ax86u as the top router
Condition 2. ac68u as Aimesh node
ac68u
1. From page Administration - Operation Mode
2. Switch to AiMesh Node from fully configured Wireless router Mode(default)
3. Automatic reboot
4. Without powering off even once.
ac86u
1. From page Aimesh - Add AiMesh Node
2. Search
3. Ac68u will be discovered( with Wifi mark)
4. It will fail at about 35%
5. Showing unable to add Aimesh.
Following this path it fails every time.

To break this ice, after switching to AiMesh Node.
You need to do,
1. Power on ac68u
2. Wait until it is fully booted
3. Check if WebUI is accessible.
4. Power off
5. Do 1 to 4 power on/off at least twice.
6. Power on and wait WebUI to be up
7. Connect ac86u LAN to ac68u WAN
8. ac86u From page Aimesh - Add AiMesh Node
9. Ac68u will be discovered( with ETH mark)
10. Progress bar will exceed 40% , and pairing will be a success

Bro, I just made an account to thank you. For me actually the power off/on 3 times did the trick. It's actually insane how bad Asus software works, but the more impressive you figured this out.

My setup is:

AIRouter: Asus ZenWifi CT8
AINodes:
- Asus ZenWifi CT8
- Asus RT-AC68U
- Asus RT-AC68U

My CT8's were already setup as an AIMesh. And I got a good deal on the 68U's (30 bucks for 2) used. So I figured I could get some more coverage near my gardens. I struggled a lot trying to set it up. This is in the end what worked for me:

1. Update the firmware on the CT8 main router
2. Power on and then reset the 68U (by holding reset for 5 sec).
3. Connect to the new Wifi of the 68U (should be the default SSID and password, or no password)
4. Setup the 68U as a new router (just use any SSID just so you can get to the WebUI)
5. Update the Firmware of the 68U (it will reboot)
6. Put the 68U in AIMesh mode (it will reboot)
7. Connect again to the 68U Wifi and check if the WebUI loads (just the first time setup page will be shown)
8. Power the 68U off and on again
9. Repeat step 7 & 8, two more times
10. Connect the 68U WAN port to a ZenWifi AIRouter LAN port
11. Connect to the ZenWifi AIRouter Wifi, go to Web UI and add the 68U
12. Now repeated step 2 to 11 for the second 68U

Worked!

This is not needed on stock Asuswrt and this is not the procedure for adding AiMesh nodes.

@MissingTwins old post (Aug 2021) is a workaround for old Asuswrt-Merlin versions with wireless node discovery issues. There is much shorter workaround version and perhaps not needed anymore after specific Asuswrt-Merlin release when the issue was identified and eventually corrected (Jul 2024 now).