What's new

Cannot use Channel 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grillhead

Occasional Visitor
I replaced my failed Linksys WRT54g yesterday with an Asus RT-N66R. I updated the firmware upon installation to the latest factory version. At first I had several instances where it would lock up and give me the "SSID has changed etc etc" screen. It would do it on all kinds of changes, for example, disabling router advertisement in the IPv6 menu, or changing channels. Anyways, Channel 1 is the least congested in my area so I changed it from Auto to 1. When I do that, the 2.4 radio completely drops out and I cannot connect to it. Luckily my S4 will connect to the 5 ghz band and I can access the settings to change it back to Auto. I then flashed the latest Merlin build to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't. I can set it on 6 and 11 and it's fine, but 1 just won't do it. I am really really wanting to like this router, but so far with all the lockups, I'm getting very frustrated with it. I'm wondering if I just have a defective unit and need to exchange it? Any help is appreciated :)

Do a factory reset then redo your settings manually, dont back up from a file, and see if that helps. Some times when you go from a older firmware to a newer one, weird stuff can happen and a factory reset will correct it.

Do a factory reset then redo your settings manually, dont back up from a file, and see if that helps. Some times when you go from a older firmware to a newer one, weird stuff can happen and a factory reset will correct it.

Guess I should have mentioned that I already tried that...no dice, same thing unfortunately.

Are you using inSSIDer to check the other networks in your area? Channel 1 might just be too congested.

Here is the free version of inSSIDer Home, install it and post a screen shot of the Networks page.

Are you using inSSIDer to check the other networks in your area? Channel 1 might just be too congested.

Here is the free version of inSSIDer Home, install it and post a screen shot of the Networks page.

Yes I am using inSSIDer, plus an app on my phone. 1 is the least congested, that's why I want to use it. 11 is the most congested and oddly enough, that's what it wants to auto-set to.

It does have a stable connection on Auto, so maybe I should just be happy with that? It just irks me that I paid 130 bucks for it and can't use it fully :confused:

Yes I am using inSSIDer, plus an app on my phone. 1 is the least congested, that's why I want to use it. 11 is the most congested and oddly enough, that's what it wants to auto-set to.

I have a similar problem here and it is not limited to ASUS routers. The only thing I can think of is that there is interference on Ch. 1 due to microwave ovens or similar non-Wi-Fi equipment, and inSSIDer won't show that. You need Wi-Spy to do that.

--Dan in St. Louis

I exchanged my first unit for another of the exact same. It has the same exact issue that I can't set a static channel of 1 or 6. I didn't try 11 because it always defaults to that, but per InSSIDer and Wifi Analyzer, 11 is the most congested!! It started lagging again a couple of days ago and I had to completely reboot it and the modem. It's getting very frustrating. I'm really trying to like this router but I think it may have to go back and get replaced by a Netgear... I know it has been said the U and R models are the same but I really wonder if there isn't some sort of quality issue between the two.

Check your region code in the 2.4 Wi-Fi sittings, make sure it's set to your appropriate area (USA, Europe, Japan). Also check your devices are set to the same region (some can't be changed, btw).

Yup, all good. I tried manually setting EVERY channel from 1 to 11 last night, and NOTHING but 11 would work, which as I've said is the most congested. It just doesn't make any sense!

I forgot to mention, it was already set to 20mhz because Auto acts worse. I also flipped back and forth from Legacy to Auto with no difference.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!