What's new

Cant turn OpenVPN Client 1 ( or Client 2)ON

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But that's the rub..I cannot simply keep the VPN on.....not when its cutting my speed from 90Mbps to around 20Mbps. I want Netflix Us on Roku without having to run to the router. I need Roku to work without OPENVPN on the router...just like I used to have. I then just run PIA Client on my desktops.
Set up a policy to allow JUST the roku through and nothing else. All other traffic will use your ISP and ROKU would then use VPN. 24x7

I hear what you are saying, but ...

- if I redirect roku so that is DOES NOT go though the VPN, I don't think Netflix Us will work for me....as it only seems to unlock with VPN on......but granted I never tried VPN on but not routing through it, so that I get the content and the non-VPN speed. Easy enough to test.

-if I redirect roku so that it DOES go thru the VPN, per your post 21 suggestion, then think will be good for content, but stuck with the slow speeds on the roku, ie Issue 5 on my list. Again easy enough to test.

Last edited:
Set up a policy to allow JUST the roku through and nothing else. All other traffic will use your ISP and ROKU would then use VPN. 24x7
When I attempt this, and tell it to route my ROKU thought the VPN (already on) , it asks for a destination IP address. What do I use for that?? And why is it asking

Well Calisro, as Spock would say...fascinating.... Here are my 'redirection' results.

Redirect PLAN A - Router VPN Client is ON; Only the ROKU routes thru it; destination IP set to 0.0.0.0
  • content is indeed unblocked and shows region US ( which is exactly what)
  • This option allows my to run the fast PIA Client on my main desktop, and keep options open as to also running the client on other desktops, or having them directed to VPN like the Roku.
  • However , as VPN is on 24/7 then:
    • 1)this means the service to the Roku is at the 'slower' speed , reduced to 20 Mbps (until I can tweak my way to something higher. Say it stays at 20Mps. It this significant or insignificant re streaming video? This is precisely my Issue 5 question here.
    • 2) does that mean the CPU is being taxed, or is this a non-issue with only one device
Redirect PLAN B - Router VPN Client is ON; Everything BUT the ROKU directed through it
  • not tested but no advantages given the content is already unblocked and this option would only slow down more a devices
So unless PIA comes up with something else, PLAN A might just do the trick, provided those caveats are acceptable.

Calisro - well done!

Also, if I am only directing the ROKU through the VPN, cant I just turn encryption OFF to help speed up the performance?

I dont think you can turn off encryption without using their 'app'. so no...
Yes, you can try it with encryption off....change the port to 1195 and select no encryption. You can also try AES-128-CBC encryption by changing the port to 1196 (this is what I use)

Yes, you can try it with encryption off....change the port to 1195 and select no encryption. You can also try AES-128-CBC encryption by changing the port to 1196 (this is what I use)
really? Where did you find this list with ports and associated cipher levels?

The 1195/no encryption change was in one of the PIA support forums. The 1196/AES tweak I stumbled upon one day while I was playing around (if 1195 changes things, I wonder what 1196 does? :) ) although it seems to be fairly common knowledge now from somewhere. What nobody has been able to figure out yet is the 'secret sauce' to enable AES-256-CBC. PIA has refused to answer the question in their forums (at least last time I checked about a month ago).

yea. I'd be interested in aes-192. 256 seems too heavy for these routers. i reduced my server to 192 and it helped significantly.

They want people to use their app which kinda sucks imho.

I tweaked the encryption to AES-128-CBC on port 1196. It helped a bit (not significant), ie 1 or 2 Mbps on some initial testing), but I'll leave it that way for now.

Also, now that I have OpenVPN "ON" and restricted for use ONLY by the ROKU, which is working for unblocked content, does that mean I no longer need to retain what I "thought" I needed to have, ie
- DNS primary/secondary entries for 209.222.18.222 and 209.222.18.118
- Static routing for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I assume the VPN is now taking care of that...or does it still need to be explicitly set in the router?

I don't thonk you need it since everything should go over the vpn for the roku.

Confirmed. Correct, again :)

I removed the entries still retained my unblocked content. No noticeable difference on OpenVPN router speed.