What's new

Changing Airplay Name on an RP-AC52

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MJW75

Occasional Visitor
Hi all - my first post here, but certainly not my first time on the site. I've previously found info on here extremely helpful to the point that I recently had over 100 faultless days uptime on my Asus RT-AC87U. However, after searching, I can find nothing which covers the following query.

In addition to the RT-AC87U, I have an RP-AC52 extender used as a bridge. I have everything in my TV unit connected to this via a gigabit ethernet switch (Youview STB, Panasonic TV, Apple TV 4th Gen and PS4) and it works incredible well and is very fast.

However, I like things to be simple and tidy - I call it tech zen. The audio out on the RP-AC52 is airplay compatible which is great, but the device name is like "RP-AC52(12:AB:34:CD:56:EF" - i.e. the device name and the MAC in brackets with the missing close bracket on the end.

I know this is a small thing, but this name really annoys me and there is no way for me to change it in the settings to something more simple like "Asus". Is it possible to hack the unit in some way to achieve this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all - my first post here, but certainly not my first time on the site. I've previously found info on here extremely helpful to the point that I recently had over 100 faultless days uptime on my Asus RT-AC87U. However, after searching, I can find nothing which covers the following query.

In addition to the RT-AC87U, I have an RP-AC52 extender used as a bridge. I have everything in my TV unit connected to this via a gigabit ethernet switch (Youview STB, Panasonic TV, Apple TV 4th Gen and PS4) and it works incredible well and is very fast.

However, I like things to be simple and tidy - I call it tech zen. The audio out on the RP-AC52 is airplay compatible which is great, but the device name is like "RP-AC52(12:AB:34:CD:56:EF" - i.e. the device name and the MAC in brackets with the missing close bracket on the end.

I know this is a small thing, but this name really annoys me and there is no way for me to change it in the settings to something more simple like "Asus". Is it possible to hack the unit in some way to achieve this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Did you ever get an answer to this question?
if yes what was the answer because i want also change that name.

With 2,000 views and only one reply in the last six+ years, I would guess this isn't too important in the big scheme of things. As long as you've enjoyed the music for the last six years...

Yeah I’m not too bothered, but it popped into my head and I Googled it, only to find my own post!