What's new

Changing hostname in Asus DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

odie

New Around Here
Hi

I've been using Asus DDNS for a while now on my RT-AX86U, without any major issues. Over the last few months though, the "hostname" of my DDNS seems to have changed a couple of times. As I'm using CNAME records for my own domains to point to the ASUS DDNS, my services have been down at those times as well. Is this a known issue or is it due to some config setting?

I've changed the name back to the original one (<long string>.asuscomm.com) and even deregistered and re-registered DDNS entirely, both after which services got restored, but the problem again returned this week. I'm running FW 3004.388.7.

If your current DDNS provider isn't reliable (whatever the reason), then try something else. I use FreeDNS myself, and have for MANY years. Only minor hassle is that they require logging into their website about every 6 months to confirm you're still an active user (seems reasonable to me). But other than that, they never give me problems at all.

I can try that, thanks for the tip. Although, when the "host name" changes, it seems a router-side issue rather than a DDNS one? This is the value that seems to have changed a couple of times, but I have to save/apply the name in the Asus router.

1719384334536.png

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!