What's new

Changing my Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ventura Varela

New Around Here
Hi, i need some advice. I have a Linksys EA4200 dual band router, that conect to my ADSL Modem and a several wired conection with switches and power lines. This configuration give me a excelente Wi-fi range and single network tasking. The problem is when i try to multitask hi-demanding aplications like Netflix, P2P download or game streaming (PS4 w/ PS Vita). The question is, wich router (brand/model ) could manage hi-demand multi task?.

Thanks!

Hi, i need some advice. I have a Linksys EA4200 dual band router, that conect to my ADSL Modem and a several wired conection with switches and power lines. This configuration give me a excelente Wi-fi range and single network tasking. The problem is when i try to multitask hi-demanding aplications like Netflix, P2P download or game streaming (PS4 w/ PS Vita). The question is, wich router (brand/model ) could manage hi-demand multi task?.

Thanks!
Hey Ventura, this might be a good place to get started...http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/router-chooser/chooser
Cheers!

Thanks!
what are the symptoms ... before you fault the router? Is your ISP speed sufficient?

what are the symptoms ... before you fault the router? Is your ISP speed sufficient?
Hi Stevech.
Yes my ISP speed is really good (im live in Chile and have 40 Mbps international plan).
My Wifi coverage is good to (i have 2 AP in the oposites corners of my house + the router Wifi in the middle), and the heavy tasking devices were wired conected (PS4, Amazon Fire TV, Smart TV, Synology NAS and Desktop) vía Gb Switches . The problem is with the heavy-load multitasking, for example with Netflix + P2P download, Online gaming w/ everythig else or even with Netflix w/web browsing (to slow).

My primary Router is Linksys EA4200 v2.0, and i think that device has not enought power to the network multitask that i need. I don´t know what solution could be beter, one overkill wi-fi router (Netgear night hawk series, Linksys WRT series or TP-Link Archer series for expample) or a really good wired only router, leaving the wi-fi coverega only to my 2 AP. I don´t know if the double core CPU of the new hi-end wi-fi routers could be the best solution of my problem.

Running a single instance of Netflix makes web browsing slow?

Running a single instance of Netflix makes web browsing slow?
Yes, my wife complain about of this issue these week, and the Netflix player is a wired device (Amazon Fire TV) direct conectes to the router, and web browsing is with a Ipad conected to a TP-Link AP (300 Mbps) conected to a 200 Mbs power line. Without Netflix or other network heavy tasking progrma the webroswing literaly "flies".

I think the problem is with the router, because the slowdown in webborwsing produced even with internal task, like streaming games from my PS4 to my PSVita whitin the same network.

I can't imagine that the EA4200, performing properly, would cause something like that.

Have you considered resetting to defaults and setting it up from scratch, to see if the problem goes away?

I can't imagine that the EA4200, performing properly, would cause something like that.

Have you considered resetting to defaults and setting it up from scratch, to see if the problem goes away?
I will try this weekend.

If this soluion didn´t work, what would you do?

I'd look to eliminate wireless as a potential cause. Plug a couple of PCs directly into the switch on the EA4200 and see if it still happens. That points to the CPU/RAM on the EA4200 being the problem, at which point replacing it might be an option.

To check if CPU is a problem perform a speed test and see if your device copes. If your device doesnt have enough RAM for multi tasking you will find slow downs, drops and freezes. With 40Mb/s its possible that doing all those tasks at the same time takes more bandwidth than available so the router assigns equal bandwidth to all tasks which is still not enough. If there is QoS on the router try it out and see if it improves though you will need to configure it.