What's new

Cisco Aironet 1602i best position

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kamusksn

New Around Here
Hello, I've bought a Cisco Aironet 1602i for my job offices, I would know what is the best way to cover the offices, putting the cisco over the wall or over the ceiling, I don't know how is the signal distributed.

Thank you.

The cisco aeronets generally have a metal plate that goes on the bottom, there is also a bracket that attaches to that plate with two screws, it will let it 'hang' on the normal dropped ceiling on those metal bars. What controller did you get to manage it ?
I don't think the i model is a stand alone or SAP like the 1600e-sap which I use. I use a cisco 8 port, 4 ports are poe, $100 POE [Power Over Ethernet] switch to power mine so I only have to run a network cable. that way I don't have to worry about where to plug in the $70 power injector out in some hallway or in the middle of some office.
Just to let you know these cisco ap's are not plug and play. On my 1600e's I had to blue cable them for initial config with an IP, then I could web interface the rest of the config, download the config file and use that as a template for the rest of them but it did take the blue serial cable to get started. The controller based ones can 'find' the ap and configure it though there, the cisco 2504 controller, 5 ap license, is around $800 and it's not even PoE

Last edited:
is the stand alone version.

Cool, I did not see a sap listed. My suggestion still stands though, get a Cisco PoE 8 port switch, you can expand to 4 aeronets with this and only have to deal with one network cable for power and data. The i appears to do both sap and controller depends on whether it has the light ios or the autonomous ios, air-cap needs controller, air-sap does not.
What kind of ceilings do you have, normal dropped or sheetrocked ?
Mounting hardware for dropped ceiling.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/apdeploy/Cisco_Aironet.html#pgfId-44649

Last edited:
Hello, I've bought a Cisco Aironet 1602i for my job offices, I would know what is the best way to cover the offices, putting the cisco over the wall or over the ceiling, I don't know how is the signal distributed.

Thank you.

Depends on the specific SKU - the internal antenna SKU's I've seen have been ceiling mounted for offices and hotels - ones with external antennae have been table top, usually at conferences for temporary setups.

It's a good AP for what it's worth...