What's new

Cisco-Linksys WRT400N problem. Needs rebooting.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

megatron1

New Around Here
Hello,
I recently purchased Cisco-Linksys WRT400N replacing my old Belkin router. I am using 5ghz for my 2 laptops and the speeds are great. I have comcast blast and I am getting 30mb (5ghz) and 15-16 mb (2.4Ghz). The only problem is that the router loses connection about once a week.

It's been a month since I got the router and I had to reboot via the web interface 3 times. I installed the latest firmware but it didn't change anything. Is this considered acceptable for routers in this price range ? I got this for $60 and can still return it although other simultaneous dual band routers are quite expensive.

I'd update the firmware if you haven't already. After that, maybe research to identify a firmware version that the community believes to be stable.

Check driver version for your clients (laptops). Sometimes outdated laptop wifi drivers can cause routers to crash.

Next time the router needs a reboot, connect a PC using a cable and see if that works. Will help to tell if the whole router is crashing or just the wifi radios.

Did you purchase this WRT400N new?

I have had this same router for about a year and have only had to reboot it about 3 times when everything was up and running but no internet connection was available. A reboot magically fixed the issue. But that's rare and I have never had a weekly problem as you describe.

I did recently buy a new Linksys E4200 to replace it prompting me to experiment with DD-WRT on the WRT400N and that works well so far. You might consider trying that out if you are adventurous and want to remove the Linksys firmware from the list of possible culprits.

If you like everything else about the router and new firmware doesn't fix the problem, just set it up on an appliance timer to power cycle it once a day. Simple, but effective.

Check driver version for your clients (laptops). Sometimes outdated laptop wifi drivers can cause routers to crash.

Next time the router needs a reboot, connect a PC using a cable and see if that works. Will help to tell if the whole router is crashing or just the wifi radios.

Did you purchase this WRT400N new?

My desktop is also connected via ethernet cable it loses connection too along with wifi radios. Yes, the router is new (from amazon).