What's new

Cisco RV130 Network Dropouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Just bought and set up an RV130 that replaces a Ubiquiti Edgrouter.

Having a number of issues where a number of devices are dropping from the network now.

I have configured the router with static Ip's for some of the devices.

Primarily, we have a couple of internet radios that are accessed via an App from the iphones and when tuning in to any station, it starts playing and then drops out for a number of seconds and then will continue streaming, until another station is selected, and then the whole process starts again.

I have tried connecting them via wifi to the the 2702i AP's and i dont get any trouble.

Only one network with no subnets and running the original firmware that was installed from new which i think is one behind current.

Any help appreciated.

the rv130 has a much much slower cpu than ubiquiti edgerouters. I have said in so many threads how appalling many business routers are that uses the rv's platform (basically the CPU and firmware).

Thats all i needed to know.

Ill swap back to the ER.

The only reason for the swap was

a) it was 'going spare'.

b) I have been having a couple of issues with the ER doing similar with the internet radios and it was suggested i tried a different router.

Strangely, with the units connected via wifi it all works very smoothly and quickly, however, i guess ethernet connections use more CPU?

Strangely, with the units connected via wifi it all works very smoothly and quickly, however, i guess ethernet connections use more CPU?

Wired connections do not use more CPU than wireless connections. I don't think you have identified your problem.

Yes i think you could be right.

The problem i had before was that the internet radio would stream perfectly all day, and then for some reason would drop the network connection.

This would then cause the radio to freeze and it would have to be rebooted, which meant all of the stored radio stations and configuration settings would be lost.

With the set up now, its the initial tuning of a station that is the problem.

Initially it will tune in for about 5-10seconds, but then drop out. We then have to select the same station and it tunes in and will play all day.

Its the initial hit it has on the router that is showing this odd behaviour.

Last edited:
the problem is that the cisco router lacking in resources was also handling internet.

He was having issues with the Ubiquiti Edgerouter also. They told him to try another router. I don't think he has solved his problem. He is fishing for an answer. You are quick to blame Cisco when it may not be a router problem at all as he states the wireless devices work perfectly.

He was having issues with the Ubiquiti Edgerouter also. They told him to try another router. I don't think he has solved his problem. He is fishing for an answer. You are quick to blame Cisco when it may not be a router problem at all as he states the wireless devices work perfectly.
Not in the case he described, what he described wasnt the initial issue.

And as i said both ERL and cisco rv share the same platform, just very different firmwares.

To the OP could you describe more about your problem? It may not be a problem with the router but with the modem/AP.

Hi all,

Set up at the moment is BT openreach modem,, Ubiquity Edgerouter, Lynksys 16p POE+ switch, 2 x Cisco AP2702i with WLC, 2 x Naim Muso wireless speaker/internet radio.

The main problem was that when streaming via ethernet to the internet radio (with the Ubiquity), i would get random drop outs from the network and the radio would have to be reset as it had lost its ip address for some reason.

This was happening on odd occasions and not all the time, so it was hard to pinpoint the issue.

However, when they were connected via their WIFI rather than ethernet, they seemed to be working ok.

When i installed the Cisco router, the initial buffering would be fine, however, after a few seconds they would drop out, rebuffer and then carry on playing. Again, if i used the WIFI connection there was no issue. It was almost as if the router could not keep up with the demand.

I have now reinstalled the Ubiquity, and at the moment everything seems stable, although i have not had chance to monitor the radios properly yet. I was also in contact with Naim tech support as i thought it may have been a firmware issue, but even they were stumped!

The Cisco router was a nice little compact unit with some good features and was easy to set up, although the wizard was painfully slow!

The only other issue i had with the RV130 was that i was getting unsecured certificate warnings from various websites about data not being secure... I put this down to the firewall not being set up correctly, although almost everything was ticked in the set up section, but thats not really the point of this thread.

:)

Edited to add:

I see Ubiquity have upgraded the firmware for these units, so i am wondering if it is worth me upgrading?

Bearing in mind, this is coming from a relative noob to the networking scene and if i need to alter any settings after the new upgrade, i'll probably leave it alone!

Last edited:
You should always upgrade your firmware. Both those routers are the same platform so they tend to have the same bugs or instability but ubiquiti have come a long way (took them many years). The platform they use is usually unstable.

The problem may not be with your router but could be somewhere else. You can also borrow someone elses router to see if the problem is with your router, ISP or the client.

All the cisco RV series uses slower CPUs than ubiquiti edgerouters despite being the same platform.

Last edited:
Ok thanks.

My main concern was that they seem to have added a lot of new features and that they would require a bit of setting up for it to work again.

I have saved a current config back up file, so when i upgrade, can i use this file to upload my original internet connection, firewall and network settings?

Last edited:
After your suggestion of investigating, the upgrade should not over write any settings etc so i am good to go!

Thanks for all of your help

:)