What's new

Cisco RV180W Slow Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nels0360

New Around Here
I purchased a Cisco RV180W router and have found the wireless performance to be ... terrible. The maximum it will do wireless to WAN is 16 Mbps when I have a 25 Mbps connection connected via ethernet. Just wanted to give people a heads up.

What are the specs of the computer and/or wireless card you're testing the speed with, also what encryption and channel width(20 or 40MHz) settings are you using?

It doesn't matter if it's set to no security or AES only. 20Mhz or 40 doesn't have an effect either. I've tested with the new MacBook Air and a new Dell laptop. Both indicate a link speed of 144 Mbps.

I started a case with Cisco and the technician was able to replicate the issue on his side, so I don't think it's unique to my environment.

Odder yet, is that I have an RV220W that exhibits the same behavior. If I plug in a Netgear FVS318N, wireless to WAN is full speed.

There is definitely something going on with the 2.4Ghz radio in both the rv180w and rv220w in my environment. Since Cisco reproduced the issue, I'm really curious now.

If I switch to 5Ghz on the RV220W, my I get the full 25 Mbps of WAN bandwidth on my wireless connection. On 2.4, I'm getting 10-15 max. As I mentioned, the Netgear FVS318N has no problem in the 2.4Ghz band getting the full 25 Mbps.