What's new

Clients disconnecting from WRT1900AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb1146

Occasional Visitor
Everyone - thanks for the input. Last night I went ahead and purchased two WRT1900AC's and installed them in Bridge Mode. What I am noticing is that my two laptop wireless clients disconnect randomly even if only 10 feet away from either Linksys. They came with the latest firmware, and are located on different floors, 50' apart from one another. It is most noticeable on 5GHz. Each unit works on a different channel (149, 157).

Any suggestions?

Client laptops: Thinkpad T530, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN card, Win7 Pro, driver version 15.13.0.2

Last edited:
When the clients disconnect, do they connect to another AP or just disconnect?

All I would notice was that the browser session would show "connecting" and that the connection speed indicated by the Access Connections Program would show 6.0mbps instead of 450 or 300 mbps. What I do notice is that the connection speed would "hunt" and the signal strength drop (bar graph).

All I would notice was that the browser session would show "connecting" and that the connection speed indicated by the Access Connections Program would show 6.0mbps instead of 450 or 300 mbps. What I do notice is that the connection speed would "hunt" and the signal strength drop (bar graph).

Are the WRT's connected to the main router via Ethernet on their WAN port and set to Bridge Mode?

Hi,

Yes the WRT's are set to bridge mode. They are connected to the LAN via the LAN port (not the Internet Port).

Hi,

Yes the WRT's are set to bridge mode. They are connected to the LAN via the LAN port (not the Internet Port).

The WRT's should be connected to the LAN via their WAN ports if in Bridge Mode using the Linksys firmware.

FYI:

I deployed WRT1900AC's to cover a manufacturing plant and it's front offices. The production buildings are of steel construction and the plant is quite large.

The WRT1900AC's are running OpenWRT McWRT v1.0.5 cascaded in LAN to LAN.

Each router configured:

1. LAN Static IP Addresses
2. DHCP disabled
3. Wireless McWRT defaults with only security password changed
4. Connected to the network via their LAN ports and nothing connected to the WAN port

I managed to cover the entire plant and offices with 4 WRT1900AC which wasn't possible before with so few AP's.

This deployment has been running problem free ever since.

Last edited:
It does not seem to work off the WAN port. My experience with other AP's or routers in bridge mode is that you connect from the LAN port. Do you think that in your case it works from the WAN port due to different firmware?

My units are configured the same as what you have indicated in your example.

Last edited:
It does not seem to work off the WAN port. My experience with other AP's or routers in bridge mode is that you connect from the LAN port. Do you think that in your case it works from the WAN port due to different firmware?

In the Linksys firmware Bridge Mode is specified in the Internet Settings section which relates to the WAN.

Disabling DHCP on the WRT1900AC with firmware Ver.1.1.8.161917 is problematic. If I remember correctly you have to static IP the WRT1900AC before disabling DHCP or you can't login on it afterwards and a factory reset is required to fix.

Yes that is correct. Still, I don't think that this related to the units randomly dropping wireless.

The WRT firmware, as well as newer Netgear Genie devices, use the WAN port for AP mode now.