What's new

computer won't connect to internet on 5ghz w/new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

razorseal

Occasional Visitor
I'm just such at a loss, I don't even know how to explain it..

I just installed an Asus RT-N66R router in my home and for some reason, my desktop is refusing to connect to the internet with it.

I have all my other devices connecting to it via 5ghz and it's perfect with good up speed (60 mbps+)

however, when I connect to the 5ghz band with the desktop, it's dead.

I do have LAN do it because I connect to other devices in my LAN. I can even access the router and ping places and do a traceroute.

as soon as I connect to 2.4ghz on the desktop, there is internet... (very slow @ about 3 mbps) I connect back to 5ghz and it's down again!

I'm trying to connect with a netgear WNDA3100 usb stick. It's been working fine with my netgear WNDR3700 until I swapped routers out today...

any help is greatly appreciated.... I just don't understand how it's possible.

The computer shouldn't care if it connects via 5ghz or 2.4ghz... and it's not the router if I can connect to 5ghz from other computer

It could be an incompatibility on 5 GHz between the router and NETGEAR adapter.

But first try deleting the wireless profile for 5 GHz and re-establishing the connection.

Also check the TCP/IP settings when connected with 5 GHz and make sure they are correct.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!