What's new

confused about the 3 different DNS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you have no issues - just use your router and stop poking the settings.
I'm noticing more latency while than I used to have. I'm wondering if there's some settings that I could optimize to reduce this, like for example double NAT.

There is no way you notice more latency in double NAT unless your latency meter is more accurate than 1ms. To avoid double NAT your ISP provided equipment has to have bridge mode or be used as modem only with no routing. I don't know if your ISP/equipment has this option. Not familiar with ISPs in Mexico.

No it isn't. It's in router mode.
What would be Bridge Mode?

This is My ISP modem settings under WAN (the red arrow says "Enable Bridge" in spanish):

1724539827310.png

There is no way you notice more latency in double NAT unless your latency meter is more accurate than 1ms. To avoid double NAT your ISP provided equipment has to have bridge mode or be used as modem only with no routing. I don't know if your ISP/equipment has this option. Not familiar with ISPs in Mexico.

Thank you, I thought I had bridge mode enabled on the Asus router. Is that under Media Bridge?

1724539927495.png

Thank you, I thought I had bridge mode enabled on the Asus router. Is that under Media Bridge?
If you have bridge mode enabled on the broadband provider's "modem" (or more likely a router), typically one would set their Asus router to wireless router mode and not to wireless bridge mode. Asus has a brief explanation of what the various operation modes are:

What are you doing where you feel "latency" is an issue or may be an issue? Gaming or something else?

If you have bridge mode enabled on the broadband provider's "modem" (or more likely a router), typically one would set their Asus router to wireless router mode and not to wireless bridge mode. Asus has a brief explanation of what the various operation modes are:

What are you doing where you feel "latency" is an issue or may be an issue? Gaming or something else?
Yeah, that's how I got it setup, the broadband's ISP "modem" is set to Bridge Mode and the Asus router is set to Wireless Router Mode. I suppose that part is covered then.

I know it's silly but it's an old 2D MMORPG game that works on TCP and I have a lot more latency than I used to have a couple of months ago. However I had some issues with my ISP a couple of weeks ago and Idk if something was misconfigured when the service came back up, like something with WAN, LAN, DNS, or all those settings haha I'm sorry.