What's new

Confusing Wi-Fi Labeling Should be a Federal Offense?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

is a main reason most consumers over-spend.
And the vendors know what their deception is, but $$$ prevails.
i think thats a bit of a cynical way to look at it as i think most manufactures are trying to keep some form of correctness to their labeling in at least they are all trying to have the same display numbers on their products well most of them anyway

having the max simultaneous wifi sync rate as part of the modem number is imho a good way to go , eg the rt-ac88u should have been called asus rt-ac3100-8 as opposed to the current asus rt-ac3100 which should have have been called the rt-ac3100-4 but at least most of the product line identifies its self by its max sync rate

dlink are a bit of a shocker , look at the dir-880L , i mean dir- is fine as it indicates its a router but 880L indicates nothing and has no useful purpose in identifying the product

the new taipan xdsl modem is the DSL-4320L which is a ac3200 class router with modem , again the dsl part is fine as it indicates its for xdsl but 432oL again what reference is that , the modems before that where the dsl-2900al and dsl-2890al again no real logic to the modem number and calling them by names of snakes is just a gimmick

netgear are no better with the r7000 and r8000

imho standardizing the model numbers to include the max simultaneous wifi sync rates for all manufactures would be the way to go

eg

im looking at asus here

66u would be rt-ac1750-4

68u - rt-ac1900ac-4

etc

its not going to happen for older stuff but it would be nice to think it could be possible in the future ( wishful thinking )

66u would be rt-ac1750-4

I see some people having a hard time remembering how to write their router model when it's as simple as "RT-N66U'. I sometimes see people call it the "RT-66", leaving me to ponder if they are talking about the RT-AC66U or RT-N66U), so I wouldn't want to see them having to deal with even more cryptic series of letters and numbers when trying to tell someone what router they are talking about.

Would be like asking people to remember a website's IP address instead of its hostname, because the IP would tell them on which network the server is. It's just not practical for the masses.