What's new

Connect two LAN through wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smms

New Around Here
Hi all,
I’m trying to modify my home network to properly connect my new HD mediaplayer and Home Theatre amplifier.

In all my house I have a "n" wireless network that connects 3 PCs, tablets and 2 SD media players; the net is managed by a router D-Link DSL-2740B with a good signal’s level.
Now I have bought a new Mede8er HD mediaplayer and a Denon HT amplifier, both without wifi capability but with a gigabit Ethernet port. And in the next future I will buy a NAS.

My idea is to create a small wired Gigabit network among the mediaplayer, the amplifier and the NAS (to properly stream HD contents) with a new Network Hardware. This hardware has also to link the new Gigabit LAN with the already present wireless network.
I hope that the attached picture explains better what I’m thinking at.
Schema.jpg

The functionalities that I‘d like to have are:
  • to give internet access to the HD player and the HT amplifier
  • to allow the devices (SD players, PCs...) connected Wireless network to read/write file from the NAS
  • to be sure that the movie streamed from the NAS to the HD player only travel across the wired gigabit network without have to go up and back to the D-Link router through the wifi (of course this is very important for me :D)
Instead I am not interested in Wifi range extension. My actual router doesn’t have gigabit LAN ports, WDS capability or bridge mode.

I read this two article ("Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 2: No WDS Required" and "How To Use a Router To Add Network Ports - Method 2") that gave me a lot of good ideas but didn’t completely cover what I want to do.

First of all, which kind of Network Hardware have I to buy? Do I need a router or it is enough a bridge/switch?
Can someone suggest me some product?
And at the end, how have I to configure it? Have I to define two separate subnets or can I maintain one single network? How to avoid a double NAT problem for the NAS?

I am sorry for having write a so long post, but I tried to describe at the best my problems and I have a lot of confusion in my head.... :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance to anyone that will give any suggestion :)

I suggest just using a switch. Stay with on LAN, one subnet.
Try to get this cluster of stuff and the switch connected to the router via cat5 if at all possible. If not, use a AC Power mains HomePlug type approach, or a MoCA approach.
Last on the desired-list is use of a WiFi client bridge connected to the switch.

First off all, thank you very much for the fast answer.

The switch was also my first idea, than I started creating myself stupid troubles wondering if the traffic from NAS to the HD mediaplayer would be managed by the switch or sent to the router (loosing the network performace that I need for HD streaming)..... :eek:

Unluckily connecting the switch to the router through Ethernet cable is not feasible because the 2 cluster are in two different floors.
Also the power network is very long from the switch's plug to the router's one traversing several other plugs and three safety swirches: in this condition do I still have a real advantage using PowerLine against wifi?

I am not familiar with MoCa....... is it based on the cable television network or on the antenna network for the Digital terrestrial television?
Right now I don't have an antenna plug near the router.

Thank you again for your help

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!