What's new

Connected at 130 mbps but getting actual transfer rates of 16 mbps (2 MB/s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

givehimagun

New Around Here
My problem is that I can't get my actual transfer speeds to be even REMOTELY close to my connected rate of 130 to 270 mbps on my N card.

I have a Linksys WRT310N router with a Windows XP laptop with a Intel Wifilink 5100 AGN card connected at 130 mbps. I have a wired gigabit linux server connected to the router with a samba fileshare.

• When I turn off my wireless and wire up the laptop to the router I get transfer rates of 16-17 megabytes/s through samba and sftp.
  • If I put my laptop on Wireless N and get 130 mbps (let's say I get even 65 mpbs which should be 8 MB/s), my transfer rates on the same samba and sftp shares go down to 2 MB/s or 16 mbps.

16 mbps of actual throughput for something that is displaying as 130-270 mbps seems wildly incorrect.

I've updated ALL of my wireless and wireless related drivers for my Intel Wifilink 5100 AGN. I wonder if that's the case. To me it seems that the problem resides in either my routers wireless settings or my laptop's wireless settings, but I don't know what to do to actually isolate the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online