What's new

Voxel Controld with RBK50 v2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

walterwhite

New Around Here
Hi guys

Great forum!

I’ve had RBR50/RBS v2 for 4 years. I’m considering flashing voxel for the first time. I’m a big ControlD fan and have it running secure dns on my Apple TV 4K. I’m keen on running this directly on the router. I can see this can be done on the v1 version by formatting an external usb stick. Is there no way to get get anything onto the v2 with voxel firmware - and then to stay persistent? Thanks!!!!

Hi guys

Great forum!

I’ve had RBR50/RBS v2 for 4 years. I’m considering flashing voxel for the first time. I’m a big ControlD fan and have it running secure dns on my Apple TV 4K. I’m keen on running this directly on the router. I can see this can be done on the v1 version by formatting an external usb stick. Is there no way to get get anything onto the v2 with voxel firmware - and then to stay persistent? Thanks!!!!
You can try using /mnt/ntgr or /mnt/bitdefender (internal nand) instead of external usb stick. Or mount an external network disk

From QuickStart.txt

. . .
12. Custom script to run (for Orbi v2 owners, units w/o USB port).

You can create you own script to execute it after every reboot. Script should be placed
to /mnt/ntgr directory or/and /mnt/bitdefender/ (internal nand) with name: rc.user. I.e.

/mnt/ntgr/rc.user

or/and

/mnt/bitdefender/rc.user
. . .
15. Mounting a CIFS Share.

It is possible to mount remote network share using the Common Internet File System (CIFS).

This feature could be useful for Orbi v2 owners, units w/o USB port for example to
use Entware mounting remote Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS shared network disk to /opt directory.

Example how to mount CIFS Share:

mkdir /mnt/share
mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/DiskC /mnt/share -o user=username,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.02
. . .

Voxel.

Hi Voxel, as per above I’ve flashed your firmware from stock, all good no issues thanks. But I’m struggling with your instructions as above:

“”You can create you own script to execute it after every reboot. Script should be placed
to /mnt/ntgr directory or/and /mnt/bitdefender/ (internal nand) with name: rc.user. I.e.””

I’ve logged into ssh as root all good. It appears it even accepts me making a new directory /mnt/bitdefender/controld/* as requested in controld GitHub. But I can’t move to the location or even to /mmt/bitdefender to run the script. SSH is one area I’m not an expert on so it’s probably me! Any advice would be appreciated- thanks!!!! :)

Hi Voxel, as per above I’ve flashed your firmware from stock, all good no issues thanks. But I’m struggling with your instructions as above:

“”You can create you own script to execute it after every reboot. Script should be placed
to /mnt/ntgr directory or/and /mnt/bitdefender/ (internal nand) with name: rc.user. I.e.””

I’ve logged into ssh as root all good. It appears it even accepts me making a new directory /mnt/bitdefender/controld/* as requested in controld GitHub. But I can’t move to the location or even to /mmt/bitdefender to run the script. SSH is one area I’m not an expert on so it’s probably me! Any advice would be appreciated- thanks!!!! :)

In QuickStart.txt from where scripts named rc.user will be called automatically when RBR is loaded. That is, if there is a script

/mnt/ntgr/rc.user

or

/mnt/bitdefender/rc.user

then it will be called automatically when you reload your RBR. No need to call them manually from ssh.

Somewhere in /mnt/ntgr and/or /mnt/bitdefender you can also store some additional files that you need for your needs and that will be called from your rc.user scripts.

What exactly you're calling for, I'm sorry, I don't know. I just pointed out the place where you can store something for your customization and how to call it automatically.

Voxel.

The issue seems to be the script wants to be installed only in /usr/local/bin. I’ve changed directory to the the locations you’ve recommended and ran the script. But when you run the script it states:

Install path /usr/local/bin
Failed to configure service on router error=checkhomedir: could not install service outside /mnt/bitdefender

Surely this is an issue with the controld script?

Thanks Voxel!!!!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!