What's new

D-LINK DHP-501AV 500 Mbps Powerline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slimoli

Occasional Visitor
I just noticed few online stores started to sell this kit and wonder if anybody here has any experience with it. I am interested in the real throughput vis a vis the Netgear and Trendnet units but I can't see any review on the 501AV as of yet. Many thanks.

Since it uses the same Atheros chipset, it will have similar performance to other "500 Mbps" adapters.

Since it uses the same Atheros chipset, it will have similar performance to other "500 Mbps" adapters.

Thanks. You reviewed the Trendnet and the Netgear and the performance was quite different. Is that because the chipset is different or the Trendnet implementation is not so good ?

Thanks. You reviewed the Trendnet and the Netgear and the performance was quite different. Is that because the chipset is different or the Trendnet implementation is not so good ?
Ah. Good point. Chipset was the same. Firmware was different. So if you want the performance you saw in the NETGEAR review, safest thing is to buy the NETGEAR. I don't see reviewing the D-Link adapter anytime soon. Sorry.

Ah. Good point. Chipset was the same. Firmware was different. So if you want the performance you saw in the NETGEAR review, safest thing is to buy the NETGEAR. I don't see reviewing the D-Link adapter anytime soon. Sorry.

What about the reference AR7400 devices you said you were getting from Atheros in the tail end of the TrendNET review from December last year (2010)?

Atheros is sending me a pair of their reference design adapters so that I can see what their 500 Mbps technology can do when properly implemented. Once I get them tested, I'll post the results in another article.

Presumably such devices would set the "gold standard" or benchmark for what this technology (based on this chipset) can do? It's been several months now since you said you would be getting the devices from Atheros.

As it is, I've got two Netgear XAV5004's (4-port devices) and although the performance is significantly better than my previous 200-AV units (which were based on the Intellon 6300 chipset) this new Netgear 500-AV kit does inexplicably lose the signal completely every few seconds, whereas the older INT6300-based units keep a rock solid connection (and this is when testing with only the XAV5004's installed and the 200-AV units disconnected, so not mixed).

Last edited: