What's new

D-Link dir-890L vs Asus AC68U vs TP-Link Archer c7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zolakt

New Around Here
I have above 3 routers that I have tried for about 2 months each. Wireless speed and range wise, I am very happy with D-Link 890L. But somehow both D-Link and Asus routers gave me wifi issues. Sometimes when I try to send a message on whatsapp, it shows the "clock" sign beside the message for about 1 or 2 seconds before it gets sent out.
I tried a ping on google.com and this was one of the 5 results:
Pinging google.com [2404:6800:4001:807::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2404:6800:4001:807::200e: time=15ms
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2404:6800:4001:807::200e:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 15ms
Signal strength is very good but somehow there are lost packets when I am using this router.
Surprisingly, this issue does not happen when I am using my TP-Link Archer C7. All other variables like location of router, ethernet cables are held constant.
Can anyone help to resolve these issues?

ping times/errors using wired PC connection? I.e., is it your WiFi or your ISP?

If WiFi at fault, change channels on router. In 2.4GHz, that's 1, 6 or 11. Disable auto-channel-select.

if it is a choice between d-link and tp-link get tp-link instead.

Packet drops happen from interference or if there is too much traffic when on wifi. What you want to check is the ping to the router to test your wifi and not google. Pinging google is to check your ISP.

ping times/errors using wired PC connection? I.e., is it your WiFi or your ISP?

If WiFi at fault, change channels on router. In 2.4GHz, that's 1, 6 or 11. Disable auto-channel-select.
I think it is my wifi, tried wired connection with no issues. I have disabled auto channel select and am on the least populated channel according to inSSider

if it is a choice between d-link and tp-link get tp-link instead.

Packet drops happen from interference or if there is too much traffic when on wifi. What you want to check is the ping to the router to test your wifi and not google. Pinging google is to check your ISP.
I did a ping to my router and this was the result:
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 2ms
No packet loss but the maximum is 10ms, that is very high for a ping to my router isn't it?

I did a ping to my router and this was the result:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 2ms
No packet loss but the maximum is 10ms, that is very high for a ping to my router isn't it?

If you're on wifi it is just an indication that there is traffic in the area. On my asus ac68U i get 1ms on wifi and my worst could be 5ms but looking at your average your worst only happens once in a while so it is fine.

It could be your distance or setting on your wifi router or client. Under advanced i use settings meant for lower latency and higher traffic. disabling power savings can also improve wifi speeds.

Every once in a while a ping to the router will go high but this is normal because it is either traffic or the router being busy. Pings have a lower priority so a device response to pings when it can. If you see packet drops is when you have to worry. If you have problems on wifi and your ping to router has no packet loss than the problem isnt on wifi but it could be the router or ISP.

D-link is a very poor choice for security reasons.

If you're on wifi it is just an indication that there is traffic in the area. On my asus ac68U i get 1ms on wifi and my worst could be 5ms but looking at your average your worst only happens once in a while so it is fine.

It could be your distance or setting on your wifi router or client. Under advanced i use settings meant for lower latency and higher traffic. disabling power savings can also improve wifi speeds.

Every once in a while a ping to the router will go high but this is normal because it is either traffic or the router being busy. Pings have a lower priority so a device response to pings when it can. If you see packet drops is when you have to worry. If you have problems on wifi and your ping to router has no packet loss than the problem isnt on wifi but it could be the router or ISP.

D-link is a very poor choice for security reasons.
Thanks for your very detailed advice.
However I just tried again and there is 2% packet loss.
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 98, Lost = 2 (2% loss),
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!