What's new

vnStat Daily statistics report from Vnstat and Traffic Analyzer do not match, which one is correct?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aru

Regular Contributor
Menu path:

Traffic Analyzer

1719280652314.png

Vnstat

1719281044612.png

I noticed that the daily statistics from vnstat and Traffic Analyzer do not match. Is this due to a configuration issue or a difference in their calculation base? Which report reflects the actual traffic?

In the June report, the daily data from both sources does not match up?

Traffic Analyzer
1719281381429.png

Vnstat
1719281314459.png

I believe Traffic Analyzer will include LAN traffic. I've noticed that when I am moving large amounts of data over my internal network, the Traffic Analyzer numbers will be much higher than Vnstat.

vnStast may not show accurate data with NAT acceleration hacks enabled on home routers.

I currently use a 300M/300M plan without a usage quota limit. However, I noticed that the ISP has a promotional offer for a cheaper 1G/1G plan, but it comes with a crucial usage quota clause. It states that if the continuous network traffic exceeds 150GB over 3 days, the speed will automatically be reduced to 100M/40M. The original 1G speed will be restored after two days. I check my daily usage reports to assess whether I would exceed this quota. While doing so, I inadvertently discovered discrepancies in the reports. As mentioned by @bluzfanmr1 and @Tech9 , this might be due to the statistics including LAN traffic or hardware acceleration bypass factors. Thank you very much!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!