What's new

Devices connected through wifi extender are showing up under guest IP subnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsn2233

Occasional Visitor
I am using a TP Link extender and have a guest and normal network. The guest network is under this arrangement

1725537826837.png

When setting up the extender I chose the guest network as the 5G and my normal network as the 2.4G. I named both networks the exact same name as the originals i.e. the above ASII2 network is not named ASII2_EXT but instead just ASII2, so they both appear as one connection each and not two separate.

My normal network uses a different VPN than the guest network. When connecting to my normal wifi network (not guest) through the extender all of my traffic is routed through the above guest network. All of my traffic shows up as '192.168.6.xxx' even though it should be '192.168.1.xxx' because I am not connected to the above 'ASII2'. When in range of my router (and not the extender) and connected to my normal wifi network(not guest) the IP is correct '192.168.1.xxx' and the VPN is correct.

Any idea why this happens? Is it because I chose the guest as the 5GH network so it makes it dominant and forces everything in the extender through those settings above?

You appear to be using YazFi, an AddOn, which "technically" is no longer supported. I know, others have supposedly taken up some of the slack, but given its complexity, I'm not sure it's going to be easy to diagnose these kinds of problems w/o the support of the original author (@Jack Yaz). Let's just say it's outside the norm and should probably be posted in the AddOns forum. At least there is presumably more expertise.

I am using a TP Link extender
What specific TP Link extender are you using?
What are the SSID names for each of the SSID's, on the router and then on the TP Link Extender? Are they all the same as in both the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz are using the same SSID name?
Your setup is a bit confusing (at least to me) as it has been explained and you appear to be using YazFi which complicates things.

Check to see how the TP Link extender is backhauling (communicating back) to the router. Is it using both WiFi bands as backhaul or one band? Could be the TP Link is only using the Guest Network 5Ghz as the backhaul to the router which would account for why devices connected to the 2.4Ghz band on the TP Link are showing up under YazFi's 92.168.6.xxx range, if that is what is happening.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The extender is the TPLink RE220 and yes both bands on the extender have the same SSID as the the normal SSIDs and the bands match.

So the guest is 5GHz ASII2 and the corresponding 5GHz is ASII2 (same SSID) on the extender. My normal network is called VLX05 which is a dual band network and it also has the same SSID on the TPLink extender but it is the 2.4GHz band. So there are not 4 different networks, only two, a 2.4GHz VLX05 and 5GHz ASII2 (guest network).

Backhaul is a new term for me and I wouldn't know how to assess how the extender is communicating back to the router.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!