What's new

DHCP server change Pool Starting Address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helio58

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have a couple of questions,
my DHCP server starts at
IP Pool Starting Address 192.168.20.2
and ends
IP Pool Ending Address 192.168.20.254
I have many Manually Assigned IP (Static)

Unfortunately they are at deferents places
ex:192.168.20.5 , 192.168.20.30 ,192.168.20.60
192.168.20.100 , 192.168.20.120 , etc ....

If I change the IP Pool from 192.168.20.2 to 192.168.20.100
and end at 192.168.20.254
What happen to my devices with static IP will theirs IP change or
can they keep it?

Thanks

Manually Assigned (on the router) is different than Static (on the device).

What I expect to happen - no change for Manually Assigned and Static, whatever relies on DHCP (automatic IP) will get an IP from the new range after router reboot or on the next DHCP lease renewal cycle. If you don't want to wait too much - change the DHCP Lease Time to 3600 (1h), when the devices settle down to newly assigned IPs change is back to whatever is normal for you.

Manually Assigned (on the router) is different than Static (on the device).

What I expect to happen - no change for Manually Assigned and Static, whatever relies on DHCP (automatic IP) will get an IP from the new range after router reboot or on the next DHCP lease renewal cycle. If you don't want to wait too much - change the DHCP Lease Time to 3600 (1h), when the devices settle down to newly assigned IPs change is back to whatever is normal for you.
Thanks it sounds good. I will make a backup before the change. Thanks

If I change the IP Pool from 192.168.20.2 to 192.168.20.100
and end at 192.168.20.254

They'll update once the lease expires...

FWIW - I usually set my DHCP pools starting from .100 to whatever... for example, 192.168.2.100-192.168.2.150...

Asuswrt works with both Manually Assigned and Static inside and outside the DHCP pool. This change is easy and won't break anything. Stock Asuswrt restarts the whole stack and makes the change faster, Asuswrt-Merlin updates the DHCP server changes only as far as I remember. In both cases on DHCP renew the devices will find their right IPs. Client list may show devices with multiple IPs for some time, but it's buggy to begin with. Settings backup is not really needed.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!