What's new

DHCP Server stops handing out IPs for wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kpratte

New Around Here
Has anyone else come across this? Originally I thought it was a lease time issue but now it seems to be sort of random that dnsmasq's DHCP stops handing out IPs for wireless. Wired connections are fine. The incredibly bizarre part is that there is nothing in the logs..

The scenario goes like this: reboot router, any wireless or wired client can get an IP for the first minute or so, then after that if a wireless client tries to get an IP, there is nothing in the logs and it tries and tries to get connected and nothing works. If a wired client does a renewal, it will succeed and show up in the logs.

I'm running the latest Merlin beta release.

Got any ideas?

- Ken

Make sure your DHCP pool is large enough to provide IPs to every client.

Enabling DHCP logging might help track down potential issues there.

Also make sure you don't have a second DHCP server on your network.

Oh, good idea on the pool size.. I do .2 - .99 as static IPs and had .100 - .150 for DHCP so now I'm thinking either it didn't like the static IPs outside of the range of pool or the fact that the static IPs were larger than the pool. Now to run it a few days and see what happens.

DHCP reservations should be within the pool. Only IPs that are manually configured on a computer has to be outside that pool.

interesting so i have had that all wrong all this time?

Cause I use reservations for 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.8 then I start the DHCP Pool at 192.168.1.9~192.168.1.50 I have had it like since forever, never had issue with wired devices, only wifi stuff randomly have issues connecting, like they would stop connecting and usual reboot would fix cause it was whole channel 2/5ghz that would stop working, not a specific client

Basicly IF i reserving IP from router, it still handled my routers DHCP so my DHCP pool should really be 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.50 seeing those reserved IP are still handled router DHCP, EVEN if this why i randomly have wifi issue cause it trying to hand out IP already assign to reserved IP or other device not reserved does the router not try to assign another IP if it used?

I thought manual reservations was same as doing the IP on computer it self which, ignores the DHCP pool., Though it would explain why those reserved IP are listed and DHCP leases.

When I upgrade to new FW i will make my DHCP being 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.50 and see if i notice any difference wirelessly as opposed to have my reserved IP out side of DHCP all these years. Dont really want to mess with Router setting till Optimum fixes there shirt feeding my house, i regularly getting 20mb at night on 200mb connection, when the network has no traffic hitting it, on top fact speed all over place and thing but stable at 200mbit, then again it not my AC66U (I would have to turn QOS on or turn off CTF which limit me to 100mbit five or take cayse cpu would be 100% usage with QOS off and CTF router barely hits 60% when does hit 200mbit) or my modem or lines in my house.

Last edited:
I thought manual reservations was same as doing the IP on computer it self which, ignores the DHCP pool., Though it would explain why those reserved IP are listed and DHCP leases.
Unfortunately Asus decided to use the words "manually" and "around" which causes confusion. It would have been better if they had just said "Reserve IP address", because you are telling the DHCP server to reserve a particular IP address from the pool for a client. This is not the same as setting a static IP address on the client's network interface.

Unfortunately Asus decided to use the words "manually" and "around" which causes confusion. It would have been better if they had just said "Reserve IP address", because you are telling the DHCP server to reserve a particular IP address from the pool for a client. This is not the same as setting a static IP address on the client's network interface.

Things got lost in the Chinese -> English translation most likely.

While not mandatory, it's strongly recommended that whenever configuring a DHCP reservation (AKA static lease) on a router to allocate those IPs within the same address pool as the dynamic IPs. IPs manually configured on a computer interface is what is called "Static IP" - these must be outside the DHCP pool.

The terminology might be confusing, but it's important to use the accurate term as they're quite different.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!