What's new

Did anyone switch to the WRT1900AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So you have users in your house urging you to avoid going back to the R7000 too? ;)
Hi,
Not really, I just have to switch routers or whatever while no one is on-line.
That is like 2,3 in the morning hours. My son does lot of music recording/editing and his professional work in engineering connected to his office server. So picking right time for me is some times not easy. Router
uptime has to be 100% for my home users, LOL!

I have 3 teenagers. If the internet goes out for 5 seconds I hear about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. Wife, 2 teenage daughters, and a mother-in-law.

I have to have scheduled maintenance windows to change my own router. ROFL

I'm in the same boat. Wife, 2 teenage daughters, and a mother-in-law.

I have to have scheduled maintenance windows to change my own router. ROFL

LOL! Same here. I have to notify the family when I upgrade the firmware and reconfigure the router. My wife and kids are like "Are you done yet?"' LOL!

LOL! Same here. I have to notify the family when I upgrade the firmware and reconfigure the router. My wife and kids are like "Are you done yet?"' LOL!

LOL... you might have to get into the habit of scheduling a "maint window", as you have production users on your LAN.

I picked up a WRT1900AC at Best Buy this evening. I have to wait for damn "maintenance window" to try it out though. ROFL

Sorry why do you have to do that? Can't you just choose "Manual Setup"?

I can't put it into production right now. I got two family members watching movies and one playing Minecraft.

You know, mission critical applications. The Internet can't go down right now.

:D

I can't put it into production right now. I got two family members watching movies and one playing Minecraft.

You know, mission critical applications. The Internet can't go down right now.

:D

Oh Funny stuff :D that went right passed me didn't it :)

Well guys, I think I have FINALLY found the router for me.

After using the Netgear R7000, I got addicted to the range and performance.

After using the Linksys EA6900, I got addicted to the simplicity of the Linksys GUI.

I have found BOTH in the WRT1900AC.

It has the same feature set as the EA6900 (except it has the Network Map instead of Connected Devices list). It was similarly easy and quick to setup.

However, it is performing much, much better.

The 2.4Ghz range is better than both the R7000 and RT-AC68U by quite a bit in my environment, maybe 20%. The 5Ghz range is a little better than the AC68U and just a tad worse than the R7000.

However, in my critical location (my office) it's the throughput that matters. It has a bit better throughput in this location than the R7000 and is right in line with the AC68U.

I pray that it remains stable for me because so far, it is PERFECT.

After using the Linksys EA6900, I got addicted to the simplicity of the Linksys GUI.

It has the same feature set as the EA6900 (except it has the Network Map instead of Connected Devices list). It was similarly easy and quick to setup.

The 2.4Ghz range is better than both the R7000 and RT-AC68U by quite a bit in my environment, maybe 20%. The 5Ghz range is a little better than the AC68U and just a tad worse than the R7000.

However, in my critical location (my office) it's the throughput that matters. It has a bit better throughput in this location than the R7000 and is right in line with the AC68U.

If it just had the ability to share the usb hard drive over the net and vpn service I would be trading my 68r out for it.

Yeah, I don't use either of those things so they aren't deal breakers for me.

Don't you think it's a little premature to be declaring victory after all of the problems you've had with so many routers ? You've only had it up and running for less than 12 hours. I'd suggest you give it 10 days before you write another thread entitled "Happy with my WRT1900"

If you still continue to have problems, considering all of the problems you've had with so many routers, I'd suggest you consider exploring the following:

1. Your wireless clients
2. Something in your environment
3. Cockpit error

Don't you think it's a little premature to be declaring victory after all of the problems you've had with so many routers ? You've only had it up and running for less than 12 hours. I'd suggest you give it 10 days before you write another thread entitled "Happy with my WRT1900"

If you still continue to have problems, considering all of the problems you've had with so many routers, I'd suggest you consider exploring the following:

1. Your wireless clients
2. Something in your environment
3. Cockpit error

I'm not declaring "victory". I certainly have no idea whether or not this router will prove to be stable and trouble free over time. I even SAID AS MUCH in my previous post.

The problem I had with the R7000 is buggy firmware. Dozens of users with the same issue. Hardly "cockpit error".

I didn't have any problems at all with the EA6900 other than it just wasn't powerful enough for my needs. And the Asus worked just fine (great actually) but after using the Linksys firmware I simply didn't like it. There was nothing at all wrong with it performance-wise.

There's nothing wrong with my wireless clients, my environment, or me. I had a WNDR3700 prior to this that, at one point, had over a year of continuous uptime.

Thanks for you concern.

Yeah, you posted that a while back and I was using it with the EA6900. It's got a ton of info, great stuff. Having the uptime right there at the top is definitely handy, especially since I'm going to be keeping a keen eye on it.

I waited about an hour and then did some antenna and channel tweaking. This thing is pretty stout on 5Ghz. Easily a match for the R7000 and and AC68U in my environment.

I just hope it proves to be stable. I certainly haven't heard nearly as many people having issues with as with the R7000.

That's weird. I replied to your post Roger and after the page refreshed, your post was gone! :p

That's weird. I replied to your post Roger and after the page refreshed, your post was gone! :p

Yes, I was going to post the URL of the WRT1900AC status page, but then I remembered that you had already picked it up when you were still using the EA6900, so I deleted the post. You're just too quick *smile*.

Mine runs rock solid since i bought it..

page generated on Sun May 25 14:51:54 UTC 2014

UpTime:
14:51:54 up 10 days, 54 min, load average: 1.42, 1.31, 1.25

Vendor: LINKSYS
ModelName: WRT1900AC-EU

Firmware Version: 1.1.7.160582

I've transferred one of my 150GB disk images from my Mac to the Linkstation NAS overnight and I'm halfway through the 2nd. They're taking right at 4 hours, which is almost identical to what I saw with the RT-AC68W.

The R7000 couldn't ever finish one without killing my wireless connection (didn't do it with SMB, only with AFP but SMB is broken on Mavericks). The EA6900 could transfer them but only at a marginally better rate than doing it over 2.4Ghz (9-10 hours vs. 14-15).

Code:
page generated on Sun May 25 15:33:46 UTC 2014

UpTime:
 15:33:46 up 17:07, load average: 1.18, 1.27, 1.30