What's new

difficulty connecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

denniston

Occasional Visitor
I have just installed an Eugenius 2610 connected to the comcast cable modem router. I set it up with WPA2 PSK AES. Some computers can connect just fine, like mine. But other computers will not connect. Any suggestions? Is there any sort of router I should install, would that help?

Do you have a mix of different operating systems? Which ones work, which ones don't? Are you able to see the wireless network SSID from the machines you are having troubles with, but just unable to establish the connection?

To answer your last question, a router isn't going to solve your issues connecting to a wireless access point.

I'm running windows 7 and have no problem connecting.
My boss is running Vista. He had trouble connecting, but once he connected he's been able to connect ever since.

I had two of my friends laptops, one Vista one 7, and neither of them could connect. They can see the network and have strong signal. I've retyped the passphrase it still won't make a connection.

As far as the new router, I didn't know if a different (better?) router would help since the EOC2610 does not serve as DHCP server. On my friends computer, when I manually entered an ip address, I could view the admin page of the cable modem, but could not connect to the internet and I don't think it even showed that I was connected to the network.

Are you using this outdoor AP indoors? Does the unit see the wireless clients? What does the logs in the AP show for errors!

I am using it outdoors. I'll have to look and see if the error log is turned on. Just my luck it probably isn't.

I went out to the campgrounds where this network is installed, and neither the AP nor the modem/router have logs enabled. I took some screen shots and put them in a pdf, the file is accessible here: http://www.filedump.net/dumped/apsettings1280933330.pdf

Can anyone see any reason why it would be slow making a connection / some people cannot make connection at all?

Go enable WMM (Wireless Advanced) and set the AP to its default b/g/n mode.

If you set IP addresses automatically, you also need to enter Gateway and DNS information to connect to the Internet. It's best to have clients use DHCP, which would be served by your Comcast router (what is the make / model).

For the people having connection trouble. Try having them delete the network profile entirely and then reconnect.