What's new

dir-825

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Someonenamedleo

New Around Here
Hey all,

I have a d-link DIR-825. It comes with the ability to run 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time. NOTE: I receive this router from a tenant that did not pay rent for 2 month. 100 bucks I did have to spend! Anyways, I just found out that the 5ghz is for faster needs. Like my xbox360. I have been linked to the 2.4ghz. It has done very well i might say. I have the lowest package that comcast can give you for internet and run on the 2.4ghz, but still able to watch HD on netflix through my xbox no problem. But I would like to use the 5ghz, seeing it is faster and all. I have one problem.. I can not get the 5ghz to show up when I search for the signal. only the 2.4ghz shows up when I search for a wireless link. I check what I could, like to see if both bands were enable, and sure enough they are, but no 5ghz pops up. I even change the name of both bands and gave them different pass-codes. Nothing! Did maybe the previous owner take out the 5ghz parts? could this be possible? If not, then how do I get this 5ghz to work? Please someone. thanks in advance.

I know nothing about the XBox360, but from what I've read... does the XBox360's specifications say it can support both bands?

Following are the specs for the XBOX 360. If you have one of the newer models with 5 USB, then yours does not support 5Ghz. You could get a 5Ghz bridge and connect to the wired ethernet port.

Original models
2.4 GHz wireless, 3 × USB 2.0, IR receiver, 100 Mbit Ethernet
Add-on: Wifi 802.11a/b/g, Wifi 802.11a/b/g/n

Revised "S" models
2.4 GHz wireless, 5 × USB 2.0, IR receiver, 100 Mbit[citation needed] Ethernet, Wifi 802.11b/g/n, AUX port

BTW, the DIR-825 has proved to be a pile of junk for me. I have a B1 version and upload speeds have been deplorable. I've tried every firmware imaginable including DDWRT. Dlink replaced and it and new one did not help.

Dumping the 825 saved me a few gray hairs (for now).

Only if you have a 5Ghz wireless adapter can you operate the xbox with any wifi router on 5Ghz. The new gen xbox slim only supports 2.4Ghz natively with its onboard WiFi adapter thats built in. I currently use the old gen 360 with a 5Ghz xbox branded WiFi adapter and my DIR-825 RevB.

There is good information over on the DLink forums regarding setup of QoS and XBL. ;)

The DIR-825 is the greatest router next to the DGL-4500 and the DIR-857. :D

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!