What's new

Disabling IPv4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you talking about the WAN connection or the LAN side? You can't disable it on the LAN side. You might be able to do something with the WAN interface.

You might be able to configure the WAN interface as "Static IP" and use bogus non-routable addresses.

Is it possible to disable IPv4 completely and force the use of IPv6 only?
Why?
(IPv4 is still widely used, so you'd cut yourself off from a healthy portion of the internet)
(...which might be a good way to rediscover it as things get transferred...but could you live without what you'd lose in the meantime?)

Perhaps you should look into monitoring what devices etc are preferring IPv6 over v4 before you test anything.
I've a browser add-on that indicates to me what pages/sites/elements are served to me (on my daily-driver desktop machine) via each method, and while there is a tendency for more v6 than v4, it's not all pure v6...yet. I'm sure that's the case for pretty much everything out there. So, I'm not ready to flip the DHCP switch to "off" just yet.
Can you do without certain functionalities? are there acceptable alternatives/work-arounds?

There are two links you should check out in this post that may either change your mind or steel your resolve, depending on how comfortable you are with these things...

Also - are you certified ?

I just want to test which of my devices/apps/sites will break without ipv4. If it's only a few things then I just replace those and go ipv6 only.

The issue is a lot of destinations (not in your control) will not support IPv6. No matter how many devices you replace, you can't solve that. We are far from every internet destination being available over IPv6.

If anything, disable IPv6. What is it doing for you that IPv4 can't? While the hide NAT that IPv4 uses is not to be considered a "one stop" security solution, it does provide a very good "if all else fails" security measure. With IPv6, you have to have a lot of trust in your firewall.